Return to [ 15 | October | 2003 ]

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 10:14:54 PDT7
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Boot Restrictions

Hi Steven,

A while back, you mentioned the Query:Bootable commands for
both LVM and FDISK. This was something I had not previously
known about. Just as a way of understanding the dynamic at
work on my desktop system (all-SCSI, not the latest issue MB,
etc.), I am posting in below the results of those two queries.
Hopefully it will reveal why ECS 1.0 (at least via the BM
version it used) totally balked at any possibility of being
installed to Drive L, its original planned target. That
partition fell slightly past the 10G. mark on an 18G. boot
drive. Maybe it was a SCSI thing, or a BIOS issue, and would
not come into play on more contemporary hardware ? I know it's
been said here that there are no longer much in the way of
restrictions on where you locate the OS anymore. I guess I'm
going to really put that proposition to the test on the Shuttle,
with its 74G. hard drive and 18 partitions.

Jordan

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + +
[According to FDISK:]

The value >bootable< is ignored for command >/query<.

Drive Name Partition Vtype FStype Status Start Size

1 --> LVM C: 1 06 1 0 400
1 000c8073 : 1 16 0 400 502
1 001c30b3 : 1 0a 2 902 7
1 001c6fb3 D: 2 06 0 910 502
1 --> LVM E: 2 07 1 1412 800
1 004520d9 F: 2 06 0 2212 502
1 0054d119 G: 2 07 0 2714 1506
1 --> LVM H: 2 07 1 4220 502
1 00939219 I: 2 06 0 4722 2039
1 00d34e1d J: 2 07 0 6761 2000
1 0111d05c K: 2 07 0 8762 2039
1 01518c60 L: 2 07 0 10801 2000
1 01900e9f M: 2 07 0 12801 2000
1 01ce90de N: 2 07 0 14802 2698
**BIOS:8032MB
2 0000003f : 1 00 0 0 7
2 00003f00 O: 2 06 0 7 2039
2 --> LVM P: 2 07 1 2047 2039
2 007fb708 Q: 2 07 0 4086 3004
2 00dd9988 : 3 00 0 7091 1655
**BIOS:8032MB
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + +

[According to LVM:]

Logical Volume Type Status File System Size
(MB)
C: DOS/NT Compatibility Bootable FAT16
400
Disk Partition Size (MB) Disk Name
DOS/NT 400 [ D1 ]
E: Warp4 Compatibility Bootable HPFS
800
Disk Partition Size (MB) Disk Name
Warp4 800 [ D1 ]
H: LVM5 (W4-B) Compatibility Bootable HPFS
502
Disk Partition Size (MB) Disk Name
--> LVM* 502 [ D1 ]
P: ECS Compatibility Bootable HPFS
2039
Disk Partition Size (MB) Disk Name
[ A12 ] 2039 [ D2 ]

[P: happens to be on H/D #2.]

{I don't know where LVM comes into this, but it sort of
looks to me like an indication from FDISK that 8G. is *the*
limit for OS/2 bootability on this particular system.}

Return to [ 15 | October | 2003 ]