Return to [ 09 | October | 2003 ]

Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 09:57:56 PDT7
From: Steve Carter <scarter@vcnet.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: LS-120 with TP T30 and OS/2 Warp 4 ?!?

Hello Svobi!

Not everyone is the fan of the LS-120 style floppy that I am,
but since the drives are backwards-compatible with 1.44MB
and 720K 3.5" floppies, everything else is a plus.

[LS-240 floppies are just double-density LS-120s, and the
drives are backwards compatible -- they read everything.]

http://w2.pcsurplusonline.com/viewprod.cfm?ID=2886

"IBM Think Pad Ultrabay 2000 240MB Super disk,
NEW in the box @ $50.

Works with any ThinkPad having the UltraBay 2000, and
includes a 240 MB [floppy] media disk and all the paperwork.
IBM lists them at $300."

And Tiger Direct wants $211.
The advertisement claims the ThinkPad A, T, and X Series
come with the Ultrabay 2000.

I have a 600E, so I'm afraid that leaves me out. :-(

------------------------------
I use (double-speed) LS-120 drives in my desktop with Warp 4 and
in another machine with Win98. Compared to a ZIP drive, it's
kinda slow. Because the LS-120 disk is a contact medium --
the head is always in contact with the disk -- it CANNOT CRASH!

It is a lot faster when reading standard floppies, which is
what I use it for mostly. To use the drive at boot-up, LS-120
support must be built into the BIOS, and my experience is that
while the BIOS will recognize it a standard floppy, one cannot
make an LS-120 boot disk (at least I don't know how).

One interesting daydream I've had is to make a two-disk floppy boot
with a standard floppy and an LS-120 as the second disk. I don't
know enough about the OS/2 boot process to make that work however.

--Steve

This topic just made me buy an LS-120 for my TP600E on eBay, while
I was composing this message. The NiB price had fallen to $24 since
I last looked, and that is below my Thursday threshold-of-pain. ;-)

++++++++++++++++++
On 10/9/03, "Albert M. Svoboda" wrote, in part:

>I am considering the purchase of a Floppy for my T30.
>Since this unit has no floppy I like to find out the functionality
>of a LS-120 in the combination mentioned in the subject !
>
>Does somebody of you have real experience or practice
>with this OS and units ?
>
>Your advices, hints, suggestions and warnings are very
>appreciated and hot awaited ;-)
>
>Thanks in advance and cheers,
>svobi

Return to [ 09 | October | 2003 ]