Return to [ 05 | October | 2003 ]

Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 21:11:25 PDT7
From: Michael Rakijas <mrakijas@oco.net >
To: scoug-help <scoug-help@scoug.com >
Subject: SCOUG-Help: VMOUSE.SYS issue

** Reply to message from "Mark Abramowitz" on Tue, 30 Sep
2003 21:01:18 PDT7

> In <200309302040290.SM00996@host-66-81-197-195.rev.o1.com>, on 09/30/03
> at 08:40 PM, Michael Rakijas said:
>
> >the rest of CONFIG.SYS seems faily conventional (attached) and there are
> >no apparent conflicts (IRQ or otherwise) in the device manager. I've
> >swapped in a various set of serial mice with no change in behavior. What
> >could be preventing VMOUSE from loading and what can I do to fix it?
>
> Have you run rmview to confirm that there are no conflicts.
>
> Try rmview /irq and rmview /io, for example.

>From rmview /io comes the following excerpts:

RMVIEW: Physical view
I/O = 0X0170 Len = 8 Flg = MULTIPLEXED IDE_1 ST506/IDE Controller
I/O = 0X01CE Len = 2 Flg = EXCLUSIVE VGA
I/O = 0X01F0 Len = 8 Flg = MULTIPLEXED IDE_0 ST506/IDE Controller
I/O = 0X02F8 Len = 8 Flg = MULTIPLEXED SERIAL_2 Serial Controller
I/O = 0X03F8 Len = 1 Flg = SHARED SERIAL_0 Serial Port Controller

and from rmview /irq is

RMVIEW: Physical view
IRQ Level = 0 PCI Pin = NONE Flg = EXCLUSIVE TIMER_CH_0
IRQ Level = 1 PCI Pin = NONE Flg = EXCLUSIVE KBD_0 Keyboard Controller
IRQ Level = 2 PCI Pin = NONE Flg = EXCLUSIVE PIC_1
IRQ Level = 3 PCI Pin = NONE Flg = MULTIPLEXED SERIAL_2 Serial Controller
IRQ Level = 4 PCI Pin = NONE Flg = EXCLUSIVE SERIAL_0 Serial Port
Controller
IRQ Level = 6 PCI Pin = NONE Flg = MULTIPLEXED FLOPPY_0 Floppy Controller
IRQ Level = 8 PCI Pin = NONE Flg = EXCLUSIVE RTC
IRQ Level = 11 PCI Pin = NONE Flg = MULTIPLEXED Pro Audio 16 Sound Card
IRQ Level = 14 PCI Pin = NONE Flg = MULTIPLEXED IDE_0 ST506/IDE Controller
IRQ Level = 15 PCI Pin = NONE Flg = MULTIPLEXED IDE_1 ST506/IDE Controller

both of which are exactly like another machine that doesn't have this problem.

> BTW, your timezone setting in config.sys is off.

Thanks, I fixed that. Also, about your later comment.

> Oh, you might want to also try moving the mouse statements earlier in
> config.sys.

The affected part of the CONFIG.SYS looks as follows:

DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VVGA.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VMGAX64.SYS
SET SOMDTHREADPEER=1
SET TEMP=C:\LOTUSW4\TEMP
SET TMP=C:\LOTUSW4\TEMP
SET LOTUS_CLS=C:\LOTUSW4\COMPNENT
SET SOMBASE=C:\OS2
SET SOMRUNTIME=C:\OS2\DLL
SET DSQCOMMTRACE=OFF
SET DSSDIR=C:\LOTUSW4\WORK\APPROACH
SET DSSPATH=C:\LOTUSW4\APPROACH\
DEVICE=C:\SWAPMON\SWAPMON.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VMOUSE.SYS

Although the SWAPMON device drivers doesn't affect anything, if I move the
VMOUSE.SYS driver anywhere above the previous device statement like the
VMGAX64.SYS one, the system traps during bootup and reboots. Curious, but I'm
not sure why.

I still have to try Peter's suggestions but I'm somewhat skeptical because of
the very nature of the PC architecture (or my understanding of it) and the way
serial ports work. Despite people calling the PCI thingy a bus, it isn't. It's
really a bridge which only means that there really is an ISA bus underlying the
system even if you don't have any ISA slots in the machine. For the most part,
the low ( the PCI ones allocated later. This seems to be happening okay on this machine.
Of course, you learn something new every day so I'll be trying Peter's suggestion
next.

Thanks, and all other suggestions are welcomed.

-Rocky

Return to [ 05 | October | 2003 ]