Return to [ 28 | October | 2003 ]

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 11:41:30 PDT7
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: next Help Desk

Hi Steven,

If I have this down right, the next Help Desk at Chapman would be
this Sun., 11/2 ? Assuming that's correct, I may finally be ready to
proceed with the SFF portable system. Likely things to be
accomplished,
in descending order of importance, would be:

Install (2) ECS 1.1 boot partitions. I can probably configure them
on my own, for the most part, after that . . . . with a few
possible
exceptions. If time is a problem, maybe just observing the
install
of one will suffice to instruct me for the second. I could
spend the
necessary time reading the various docs, and do this myself,
but you
can probably do these installs in your sleep, so I could save a
lot of
time and possible false steps by coming to Hashinger.

Have both of these set for use with *either* DHCP or fixed-IP
broadband,
interchangeably. For fixed-IP, I can simply reproduce what's in
my home
TCP/IP notebook, but I've never used DHCP myself, on one of my
own
systems. In W2K, this is simply a matter of checking /
unchecking a radio
button. Hopefully something as simple in ECS.

Time permitting, clone the multiboot h/d onto an identical model
backup
drive. (I'll have DI-4 for this.) Having worked very little
with the slave /
master device business or the cabling and BIOS settings for ATA,
it would
be beneficial to have some guidance.

I also need to swap the cheapo DVD reader for the burner that is
going in, but
this is a lesser priority, and there probably won't be time for
it.

A lot of this depends on whether it's just you at the Help Desk, how
many folks
may be coming down for help, etc.

Ray, if you are reading this, I need to know if you will be bringing
the monitor(s)
you mentioned. If not, I'll need to make other arrangements.

Jordan

Return to [ 28 | October | 2003 ]