Return to [ 02 | October | 2003 ]

Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 22:05:43 PDT7
From: "John A. Morrow, Jr." <jmorrow895@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: TCPIP Loopback Interface

6

Steven Levine wrote:
> If you are responding to someone asking for help who
> may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
> REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.
>
> In <3208277.1065127307523.JavaMail.root@thecount.psp.pas.earthlink.net>,
> on 10/02/03
> at 01:39 PM, "John A. Morrow, Jr." said:
>

>>loopback interface. However, when I try to open the TCP/IP Configuration
>>Notebook (TCPCFG2.CMD), I get an error message to the effect it is
>>already running. This happens even if I try to open the notebook right
>>after booting into eCS. I kill the process and try again only to get the
>>same error.

Thanks Steven and Peter:

Additional info - see the attached file for the error message. Also,
after dismissing that message I see a command window with the following
text:

at
COM.ibm.raleigh.tcp.tcpcfg2.common.FileLock.releaseLock(FileLock.java
:160)
at
COM.ibm.raleigh.tcp.tcpcfg2.client.Tcpcfg2.exitApplet(Tcpcfg2.java:56
3)
at
COM.ibm.raleigh.tcp.tcpcfg2.client.Tcpcfg2.init(Tcpcfg2.java:234)
at
COM.ibm.raleigh.tcp.tcpcfg2.client.Tcpcfg2c.main(Tcpcfg2c.java:137)

> This is not an error I've heard of before. Since this is the Java TCPIP
> GUI, make sure that config.sys, protocol.ini and setup.cmd have a couple
> of blank lines at the end.
>
> Let me know if that fixes it.

I have two copies of protocol.ini; one at I:\IBMCOM and the other at
I:\IBMCOM\MACS. They are quite different. When editing them with the
default editor (e.exe) should I save as a text file or a command file,
or should I use a different editor?

> Do you have any known Java problems?

Yes, the plugin appears to be raising havoc with Mozilla. I have just
now moved the Java plugin files out of my PLUGINS directory.

What happens if you run:

> java -version
>
> from the command line?
I have the Innotek version on my system (as well as 1.1.8)

[I:\]java -version
java version "1.4.2_01"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_01-b06)

>>Is there another way to enable the loopback interface?
>

> You probably already have it. It pretty much a default Try:
>
> ifconfig lo
>
> This will tell you if it exists. If not, you can edit \mptn\bin\setup.cmd
> and add:
>
> ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1

It is already there.

[I:\]ping 127.0.0.1
PING 127.0.0.1: 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=0. time=10. ms
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=1. time=0. ms
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=2. time=0. ms
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=3. time=0. ms
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=4. time=0. ms
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=5. time=0. ms

----127.0.0.1 PING Statistics----
round-trip (ms) min/avg/max = 0/1/10

> after the route command.

There is no route command. Setup.cmd is:

REM ifconfig lan0 nil metric 1 mtu 1500
REM ifconfig lan1 metric 1 mtu 1500
REM ifconfig lan2 metric 1 mtu 1500
REM ifconfig lan3 metric 1 mtu 1500
REM ifconfig lan4 metric 1 mtu 1500
REM ifconfig lan5 metric 1 mtu 1500
REM ifconfig lan6 metric 1 mtu 1500
REM ifconfig lan7 metric 1 mtu 1500
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
ipgate off

> HTH,
>
> Steven
>
> P.S. Next time you are at the PR airport, say hi to my friend at SSF.

Will do. Thanks,

John

Content Type: image/jpeg

Unknown header: name="tcpip error.jpg" :
Unknown header: filename="tcpip error.jpg" :
File attachment: unknown

Return to [ 02 | October | 2003 ]