Return to [ 11 | September | 2003 ]

Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 22:10:15 PDT7
From: jack.huffman@worldnet.att.net
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: BackAgain2000 wont write to CD-RW via RSJ

In <200309090545.1461474.8@scoug.com>, on 09/09/2003
at 05:45 AM, "Harry Motin" said:

Harry,

It stopped with ean error message.

I got the two to work together as described in my post which you have
probably seen by now.

Thanks for your concern.

Part of my trouble was the fact that some DAT and catalog files were
stored in the main BA2KWS directory rather than the Sets and Catalogs
sub-directories with the result that the appropriate catalog could not be
found when I tried to back up. I found some DAT files in which the
directory to be backed up was, for example, C:\ which is an invalid
format.

Frankly, I think the pdf manual is inadequate (like all manuals?). It
doesn't tell you that the Catalog number and what is being backed up are
readable in a catalog file. Or that the catalog file is needed every time
the related DAT file is invoked. It also doesn't indicate the the API
error codes shown when the software stops are just the regular OS/2 error
codes. With that knowledge trouble shooting is much easier.

If the company is not going to provide a printed manual, it seems to me
that they could provide some examples and point out things such as the
ability to exclude all for a directory and then include a file in it or
what to do if you make a mistake when setting up a DAT file.

I make these points because they were the keys to determining why I was
having trouble.

As I indicated in my post, part of my problem may have been the fact that
I was using 1X-4X CD-RW and expected operations to be completed fairly
rapidly. Cleaning up the DAT and catalog files and moving to 48X CD-R
solved my problems at least so far as backing up is concerned.

I had backed up successfully from time to time to the CD-RW's and restored
using the installed software and the emergency diskettes so I think I am
all set. I am going to try to recover from the CD-R's just to be sure.

Jack