Return to [ 27 | September | 2003 ]

Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 01:01:40 PDT7
From: waynec@linkline.com
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: 40gb IDE drive - fixed!

I got bootmanager working! Now I can choose to boot Windows XP Pro or Warp.
Tried a LOT of things before I worked through the problems. It was
apparently a combination of things.

Hate to say it, but it looks like it was primarily the same issue I had last
spring: partition type codes. I'm not positive, because I did several
changes that made it work (and tried many more before that).

First I deleted the boot manager partition from my first scsi drive, then
physically disconnected the two scsi drives, and then was able to use FDISK
(from Warp install diskettes, plus a utility diskette) to create a boot
manager partition on the still-connected ide drive... that's something I
wasn't able to do with the scsi drives connected (FDISK refused to put a
boot manager partition on the ide drive, it had that option greyed-out).

So I could then boot WinXP from the bootmanager screen.

But when I reconnected the scsi drives, the Warp partition showed up on the
bootmanager screen, but I still couldn't boot Warp from the bootmanager
screen... I kept getting that "OS/2 is not able to operate your hard disk or
diskette drive" message.

So I took another hard look at the ide drive with the ptedit utility, and
this time I located a code "F" on one partition, and I changed it to a "5".
I hadn't seen this code in prior inspections, so I'm not sure if I
overlooked it or if it wasn't there. "F" is the code later Windows versions
use for an extended partition, whereas Warp only recognizes a "5" for that
usage.

That did the trick, now on the bootmanager screen WinXP C: shows up on the
first (ide) drive, the Warp partition is D: on the second (first scsi)
drive, and both will boot!

FYI, the WinXP partition is formatted as NTFS, which has the same partition
code ("7") as HPFS. WinXP sees the HPFS partitions, it just can't access
them, so when they are cursor-clicked in Explorer, WinXP presents a message
asking if you want to format the partition. Likewise, Warp can't access the
NTFS partition.

Wayne

************** copy of my initial post follows ***************************

Return to [ 27 | September | 2003 ]