Return to [ 30 | September | 2003 ]

Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 13:27:54 PDT7
From: Martin Rosenfeld <rosenfeldmj@comcast.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: Questions (probably already asked and answered

6

Thanks for responding. I did it the hard way. I copied all files from
the offending drive. I disconnected all other drives physically. I
low-level fomatted the bad drive with a utility from Maxtor
(self-booting Maxblast.exe). I then installed WinMe, then BootManager
and XCOPied an installation of eCS to the drive. I plan to buy DFSEE and
study it.

J. R. Fox wrote:

>If you are responding to someone asking for help who
>may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
>REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.
>
>Martin wrote:
>

>>>(1) How do you fix an LVM partitioned hardddrive that LVM reports as
>>>having incorrect partitioning data on it? I can access the volumes, but
>>>cannot remove Boot Manager and probably cannot change any of its
>>>partioning.
>>>

>I can't agree with Steven that Google is necessarily your friend: often it is, but
>not so rarely it ain't. What used to be the Deja Power Search template (for the
>newsgroups) is quite good, though I guess that's part of Google now. In this
>case, there happens to be a considerable amount of material on the subject.
>In fact, it was way more than I cared to read online, so I downloaded a lot of
>it, probably to print out.
>
>In what I did read, there seemed to be a consensus that the LVM partition info
>was easily damaged -- by a lot of things -- in particular running non-LVM-aware
>utilities like Partition Magic. The remedy, recoounted over and over, was to run
>LVM again, and let it put its stamp on all the partitions again. That may be an
>oversimplification, but that was the gist of it.
>
>If things are *still* screwed up, there are probably things a knowledgeable person
>could do with DFSEE. (It would have been a really good idea to have DFSEE
>take "snapshots" of all your partition info, *before* you began any risky operations.)
>Tony Butka wrote a basic tutorial / article on DFSEE, which you can find on the
>SCOUG website. I've been meaning to study it ever since it was published, and
>hope I don't put that off until the wolf is at the door, so to speak.
>

>>WinMe is a pain in the arse: it insists
>>on formatting the entire 120 GB drive as C: unless I partition it first.
>>

>Win-ME is widely regarded as the WORST version of Win since Win95.
>

>>I made a FAT32 partition with FDISK. I will just install WinMe in a
>>FAT16 2GB partition and see if it works.
>>

>FDISK is also an LVM partition-data killer.
>
>The general rule of thumb, which is echoed in the eCS guide, is that the
>Win boot partitions should go in first. Among those, any earlier versions
>should precede the later ones. Once those are squared away, the eCS boot
>partition(s) should go on last. (Or Warp, if you're prepared to deal with
>much more difficult install issues and hardware / driver stuff, on current
>systems.)
>
>That is more or less the point I'm stuck at, on this sff box. The W2Ks seemed
>to be working fine . . . except that I couldn't get the boot loader to work in
>the _alternate_ C:, where I tried out DR-DOS 7.03 for it's superior features,
>and decided I preferred it to the PC-DOS 2000 I've had on my desktop system
>for several years. Hopefully, eCS goes on real soon now, if I can just figure
>out a couple of basic hardware things that have been annoying mysteries.

> [...]

Content Type: text/html