Return to [ 30 | September | 2003 ]

Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 12:15:24 PDT7
From: Steve Carter <scarter@vcnet.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: time accuracy

On 9/30/03, Peter Skye wrote, in part:
>> >Your old timestamp is still in the header
>> > -- take a look and you'll see it.
>>
>> It's kinda neat to see how far off SOME people's
>> clocks are! Mine gains 2.5 seconds/day!
>
>Computer clock chips aren't as accurate as some might think.
>I have one machine that gains almost two minutes per day.
>
>You should be running a Network Time Protocol (NTP) client
>on your machine to keep the clock accurate.
>(Steve, I thought you were running TIME868.)

I run TIME686 automatically every time I boot the machine.
Since I shut down at least every night, the clock is always
pretty close, within a few seconds seems close enough for
timestamps. The wife's windows machine gains 2.5+ seconds/day.
The OS/2 machine is better, <1 second/day.

I figure near-monotonic time is good enough for what I need.
And I really Like Norbert Dey's TIME868 program, even though
the last release was since Dec '96.

> My favorite is OS2NTPD because it keeps my clock more
>accurate than any of the others. For some reason it's never been
>uploaded to Hobbes but you can get it from the European equivalent LEO:
>
> http://ftp.leo.org/pub/comp/os/os2/leo/tcpip/systools/os2ntp12.zip
>
>I believe eCS comes with one. Personally I like the
>constantly-synchronized approach of OS2NTPD rather than the
>occasionally-synchronized approach of the others. Don't forget to use a
>separate non-PM NTP program (I use DAYTIME) to initially set the clock
>on bootup from your startup.cmd file (*not* your Startup folder) or from
>your CONFIG.SYS file. >- Peter

What is the significance of using startup.cmd as opposed to the startup
folder, aside from running earlier in the boot-up process?

Am I missing something I should be considering?

--Steve

Return to [ 30 | September | 2003 ]