Return to [ 10 | September | 2003 ]

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 20:32:16 PDT7
From: Michael Rakijas <mrakijas@oco.net >
To: scoug-help <scoug-help@scoug.com >
Subject: SCOUG-Help: ICQ update

** Reply to message from "Steven Levine" on Tue, 9 Sep
2003 21:36:08 PDT7

> In <200309092046625.SM04260@host-66-81-193-174.rev.o1.com>, on 09/09/03
> at 08:44 PM, Michael Rakijas said:
>
> Just to review for the lurkers.

[...snip...]

> The Preview contains the full package. The Base contains just the plugin
> DLLs and is intended to update an existing install.
>
> >for me a couple of days earlier (did you get the response?)
>
> Yep. Did you get mine?

Yes, I got it.

> >to dispatch. All is well, right? Well, not quite. The window wouldn't
> >move from the spot it started in
>
> Use the RMB to grab the border.

Got it, and RMB near the System icon resizes. Cool. Odd but the skin looks
cool.

> >and I couldn't get the 'add/search user'
> >window to come up (clicked and no response), an otherwise very important
> >function for any IM client.
>
> It appears to be unimplemented. ICQ# can be added manually to the DAT
> file for now.

Ahhh. Very important. Good.

> >The "Base" package locked up my computer
> >where it needed CAD to get going again - so I spent the rest of my time
> >only on "Preview".
>
> That's pretty odd since the base package contains exactly the same EXEs
> and DLLs as the full package. Of course, if you installed the base
> without installing the the full package first, I can understand why the
> program might blow up.

Actually, it went in the reverse order. The difference isn't worth
investigating for me - if someone else cares to look, I'll be glad to trade
notes later. I got bigger problems for the moment.

> >Is anyone aware (Steven?) of the development plans/profile of the system?
> >Is it expected that Perry is still working on the program?
>
> This is question better asked on the support newsgroup or you could ask
> Perry directly.

I tried e-mail originally but got no response. Can you advise where the
support newsgroup is? News server somewhere? Yahoo group?

> >Is there anything else I should try to get it working?
>
> Define working? The implemented functions work best I can tell.

At least, other than than the unimplemented add/search function. Curiously, I
can't interact with my daughter using ICQ2Go. Her's was working okay for awhile
on ICQ2Go so l left her alone while I investigated PWICQ and other clients. Do
we need to be pointing to the same ICQ server or is it a replicating/interacting
system of servers? I guess I don't know enough on how ICQ works so I don't know
how to fix things when they go wrong. I'll investigate her system next since
she said she was trading messages with some friends for awhile but that stopped.

Another effect from not being experienced is not knowing what ICQ-type
functions are available or worthwhile let alone what is implemented.
Documentation is rather thin (i.e. nonexistent in the preview package, at least)
so I don't know what else to try. I'm more than willing to RTFM but I haven't
seen one yet. Otherwise, I just need some pointers (in multiple senses of the
word).

Further, a curiously parasitic effect is that my e-mail program (Polarbar)
won't run while PWICQ is running. The Java command line window comes up while
the Java session is spawn (as usual) but the Java-Polarbar graphical screen
never comes up. It's possible that my version of Polarbar is rather outdated
but it works and I haven't had a reason to upgrade (prior to now, at least).
That'll probably take some time to investigate further.

> Steven

Thanks for the help.

-Rocky

Return to [ 10 | September | 2003 ]