Return to [ 01 | September | 2003 ]

Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 14:21:50 PDT7
From: Steve Carter <scarter@vcnet.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: What SCSI adapter to choose !?

Jordan:

The distinction I'm trying to make is that a single channel
is one SCSI HA on a card. Dual channel is two SCSI HAs on a card,
so logically, you have HA 0 and HA1. The same SCSI ID can be used
once on each electrical SCSI bus because they're two independent
SCSI controllers.

The single channel, dual bus HAs (Adaptec 29160, etc.) have
one logical SCSI controller connected to two electrical buses,
one for U160 and another for legacy SE. But since it is one controller,
SCSI IDs cannot be duplicated and you are limited to 15 devices.

The Adaptec 29160N is indeed a good choice for what _I_ need:
U160 support for internal HDs, and internal and external;
Ultra SE support for legacy devices, e.g scanner and internal SCSI ZIP.
Using the SE bus does NOT degrade performance on the U160 bus.

--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--
On 9/1/03, JR wrote, in part:
>I might have gone with the 29160N, because it's the only one that
>offered the external 50-pin connector. That would have been fine
>for my SCSI scanner . . . except that this would greatly degrade
>the performance of the fast SCSI hard-drive inside,
>because the card is single-channel.
>
>Pursuing this idea would seem to mandate the use of a 39160 type
>of card, plus a VHDCI to 50-pin connector (about 60 bucks,
>at least for the Adaptec part) externally, on the other channel.
>
>I think I'm confusing Bus and Channel here, but going one way
>I gather you'd take a big performance hit with a single card,
>the other way things can be kept separate and compartmentalized.

>> Adaptec has a history of NOT providing drivers for their older HAs
>> and newer operating systems. There are no Window XP drivers from some
>> of the older Adaptec HAs, so they are readily available on the surplus
>> market for cheap.
>
>Which ones ?
>My 2940U card works fine under W2K, but maybe that would have been a
>problem under XP ?

Might be.
I have no personal experience with W2K or XP, since I'm using Win98.
But a flood of older Adaptec HAs have appeared on the used/surplus market
for lack of current windows drivers at OS upgrade time. I think the
timing makes this an XP phenomenon.

Both top and bottom posting! Something to irritate everyone.
Boy, am I confused!

--Steve

Return to [ 01 | September | 2003 ]