Return to [ 25 | September | 2003 ]

Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 08:56:24 PDT7
From: "Dr. Jeffrey Race" <jrace@attglobal.net >
To: < "scoug-help@scoug.com" > scoug-help@scoug.com > ,
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Bizarre broadband connection failure

A colleague in the USA has lost broadband connectivity from his TP755
to a network in his office. I am trying "long distance" to get him
back online so I can communicate with him. We have spent an hour on
the phone and have some puzzling results. I don't know what to do
next and welcome ideas from list members.

Client setup: Win98, TP755, connecting via 3Com 3C562 NIC

Network: I have not seen it but he says there are 3 pcs of equipment:

Nortel "Baystack 60-8T" hub (2 of them)
WestTel "wirespeed"
Soho "Watchguard"

I have no idea what the latter two are and don't have a block diagram
of the setup but could get if I asked.

The symptom:

The NIC can release and renew an IP address; it gets 192.168.168.5.

Any TRACERT command run from the Win98 command prompt times out. It
cannot even see the first hop.

PING 127.0.0.1 works, as does PING 192.168.168.5

Other clients on the network can reach the internet OK.

I asked my friend to take the TP from his office to a colleague's
office, unplug a known good Ethernet cable from a working connection
and plug it into his NIC. He did, and still got a timeout.

I'm stumped how this can be and what I should do next. Ideas?

Jeffrey Race

Return to [ 25 | September | 2003 ]