Return to [ 21 | April | 2004 ]

Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 05:47:24 PDT7
From: "Harry Motin" <hmotin@sbcglobal.net >
To: "Help Group" <scoug-help@scoug.com >
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Thanks

Louis,
I want to tell you what happened to me yesterday and the previous night. On Monday
night I repartitioned one of my hard drive volumes. I divided it into a slightly smaller LVM
JFS partition and the remainder a small FAT partition. I wanted to install FAT32 on my
system. Well, that was a mistake for 2 reasons:

1. I couldn't use FAT32, because I have no way of formatting it as such

2. The repartitioning somehow fogged up the database of ECSMT (the
ECS maintenance tool)

First time that I used ECSMT after the repartitioning, it wanted to know where my
download and fix pathes were. I gave it the information. Nevertheless, from that point
forward ECSMT did not properly state what I had previously installed, what I could back
out of, etc.

Last night (Wednesday) I used WarpIN to uninstall FAT32. When I rebooted, the system
stopped dead, giving me a message that it could not find some DLL that was called out
in the CONFIG.SYS. Fortunatedly, I had made a full backup of everything JUST before I
installed FAT32. I also had a bootable CD, using BootAble. Therefore, I used the CD
and booted to the WorkPlace Shell, installed on the CD. I then used BackAgain/2000 to
restore the entire ECSMT folder. I also restored my OS2.INI, OS2SYS.INI and
CONFIG.SYS files, using BackAgain. Now, I could have restored these 3 files, using
one of the generations that I had from my UniMaint backup. And I would have done that,
if I had not needed to use BackAgain/2000 to restore ECSMT.

I then rebooted and everything is fine. ECSMT is back to where it was before FAT32.

Well, I hope you see my point. Stuff, unintended, happens while upgrading and
maintaining computers. A simple little install, and then an uninstall, screwed me up.
Without a full, recent backup of my system and backed up generations of the OS2.INI,
OS2SYS.INI and CONFIG.SYS, I would have been dead in the water for some length of
time and fully frustrated.

Hope this helps you!
HCM

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 06:15:59 PDT7, Harry Motin wrote:

>If you are responding to someone asking for help who
>may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
>REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.
>
>On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 19:49:21 PDT7, Louis W. Pinckert, S.M. wrote:
>
>>Any suggestions on how to reestablish the links between the individual programs
and
>>eCom 1.1 (before or after) eCom has been reinstalled will be sincerely appreciated.
>

>Louis,
>I think that I E-Mailed suggestions to you on this before. When you initially install ECS
>1.1 you have to re-install the programs that you previously used. That's because, if
you
>previously used Warp, the recommendation is to install ECS on a clean disk and not
>over Warp. Installing over Warp is not supported by Serenity. If you previously had
>ECS 1.0 I'm not really sure about that (I believe that you can install ECS 1.1 over ECS
>1.0, but that its not recommended). Steven Levine can help me on that.
>
>Nevertheless, the REAL issue is what you do to protect yourself, your time and
energy,
>as you are reinstalling your applications on a new ECS. I STRONGLY URGE YOU to
>regularly clean the OS2.INI and OS2SYS.INI files, and then back them up, along with
>the CONFIG.SYS file. Back them up as several different generations. That's important.
>
>Use UniMaint, CheckINI and CleanINI to clean the OS2*.INI files. Use UniMaint to
>backup the 3 files as several, separate generations.
>
>You can easily get corruption in your system, while you are trying to re-build it and
>install programs. For example, some hardware that you have does not respond to the
>drivers you have on your system; therefore, you get a hung boot and corruption. Or, a
>program that you are trying to install does something bad. My previous E-Mail to you
>told you about a problem I had with desktop corruption on my new ECS 1.1. The
>desktop suddenly would not work/would not boot up properly. The problem turned out
>to be my attempt to install an old version of Norman antivirus. Nevertheless, because I
>have multiple generations of back ups (OS2.INI, OS2SYS.INI files and CONFIG.SYS) I
>was able to locate and use a backup generation that was not corrupt. I lose only 2
days
>with of work that I had previously invested in building up my desktop and reinstalling
>programs.
>
>It's up to you.
>HCM

Return to [ 21 | April | 2004 ]