Return to [ 12 | April | 2004 ]

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 15:25:12 PDT7
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Bootable eCS 1.1 floppies

"Dr. Jeffrey Race" wrote:

> There seems to be a lot of controversy about this
> and no clear conclusion. For a plain-vanilla
> TP 600X, is it possible to create a set of bootable
> floppies for eCS 1.1? I used to do this with Warp 4
> and would put various utilities on the last disk
> (4 ISTR). Experiences?

Been there, tried that . . . albeit not with a TP. With eCS
1.0, I totally failed to make a workable set of BOOTOS2
diskettes, but did succeed in making a 4-disk set of IBM's
"Make Util. Diskettes." They work for that desktop system,
but not for any other hardware. (To be expected, I'm sure
Steven would say.) With eCS 1.1, you can almost certainly
forget BOOTOS2, and my attempts to date in making the other
set have been completely unavailing. I still believe there is some
workable combination for this -- i.e., the right set of files in the
proper arrangement -- but I haven't had the time to find it.

Others have said this is a losing proposition, and I would do
better investing the time with Hayo Baan's BOOTABLE. But if
your older TP can't boot from cd, that option would not be useful
for you.

The isssue is apparently one of having sufficient space on the
diskettes.
I happen to have purchased a 2.88 FDD on Ebay some months back,
plus a small supply of the 2.88 diskettes, so at some point -- just
out
of curiosity -- I may see if that makes any difference.

Jordan

Return to [ 12 | April | 2004 ]