Return to [ 19 | April | 2004 ]

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:39:32 PDT7
From: "Dr. Jeffrey Race" <jrace@attglobal.net >
To: < "scoug-help@scoug.com" > scoug-help@scoug.com >
Subject: SCOUG-Help: eCS 1.1 Watchcat problems

See interleaved comments

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 10:28:35 PDT7, Steven Levine wrote:
>In , on 04/16/04
> at 05:29 PM, "Dr. Jeffrey Race" said:
>>Running eCS 1.1 on TP 600X, installed my registered version
>>which worked fine on eCS 1.0. Boot-time message says invoke with
>>Ctrl-Alt-W, and a smiling cat appears on my desktop.
>>However no combination of left or right Ctrl-Alt-W keys
>>will invoke.
>Does the rest of WatchCat work OK? Can you start it from the Desktop
>object?

Yes it appears on the DT, I can open it, and it closes a program.
It also appears as a tab on the DT properties.

>FWIW, WatchCat has known popup problems that seem to be system specific.
>I'm sure this is related to the age of the app.

Clues:

1-It worked fine on eCS 1.0 on the same machine, so I think it should work
on eCS 1.1.
2-I installed it twice. The first time I chose custom install in order
to select an install folder, but when I got to the page to select the
keys I could not figure out how it worked, so the install succeeded but
activation was with Ctrl-W, which worked as a hotkey pair, but I didn't
want that. So I deleted the directory in which it was installed and
started over. The second time it warned me to remove some files and
references from CONFIG.SYS, which I did. On the re-install, I chose
defaults and got Ctrl-Alt-W which is advertised at boot time. However
these hotkeys do not activate Watchcat.
3-I ran CHECKINI and XFIX and can find no references to Watchcat.

Please provide more ideas how to fix this. I am very worried to run eCS
without Watchcat installed.

> Process Commander and CAD
>Commander are similar in this regard. PC works fine here, but others have
>problems with it.
>
>You might try assigning a different hotkey setting.
>
>You might also give cahd and pbm a try. These are intented to provide
>functionality similar to WatchCat and PC, but have the benefit of being
>under current development with active maintainers.

Do they use hotkeys to activate? Where to get? I'm willing to try
something new, but I paid for Watchcat, am very happy with it, and would
like to get it working. Of equal importance is that something may be
wrong with my eCS install if Watchcat won't work, and I'd rather find it
now rather than after spending another 10-20 hours installing programs
on this system. It has taken me over a month to get this far.

Jeffrey Race

Return to [ 19 | April | 2004 ]