Return to [ 15 | April | 2004 ]

Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 23:14:25 PDT7
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: NSLOOKUP help please

In , on 04/15/04
at 09:58 PM, "Dr. Jeffrey Race" said:

> [H:\MPTN\ETC]TYPE RESOLV2
> domain WorkGroup
> nameserver 192.168.254.254

>ECS 1.0, GOOD NSLOOKUP (THIS IS FROM THE OLD DRIVE H, NOW P IN DRIVETRAY)

> [P:\MPTN\ETC]TYPE RESOLV2
> domain WorkGroup
> nameserver 192.168.254.254

Note I said RESOLV not RESOLV2, although both can get into the act.

Correcting my brain cramp:

[D:\TMP]nslookup -type=any camblab.com
Server: ns1.earthlink.net
Address: 207.217.126.41

Non-authoritative answer:
camblab.com nameserver = shark.ahoy.com
camblab.com nameserver = lobster.ahoy.com

camblab.com nameserver = lobster.ahoy.com
camblab.com nameserver = shark.ahoy.com

[D:\TMP]nslookup lobster.ahoy.com
Server: ns1.earthlink.net
Address: 207.217.126.41

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: lobster.ahoy.com
Address: 64.94.247.10

[D:\TMP]nslookup shark.ahoy.com

[D:\TMP]nslookup shark.ahoy.com
Server: ns1.earthlink.net
Address: 207.217.126.41

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: shark.ahoy.com
Address: 63.251.137.6

You should be using lobster and shark as your DNS servers. Both respond
to ping so they are probably alive.

>1-They look the same. Why did eCS 1.0 work before?

They look the same because they are both wrong for what you are trying to
do on this particular setup.

>2-Why isn't this being updated somehow by DHCP? (I thought it did;
> tell me why I am wrong?)

I can't tell you what you did wrong because you never told me what you
did. I can only say what it appears that you did wrong. I'd need to see:

setup.cmd
dhcpcd.cfg
resolv
resolv2

at the minimum before I can say more.

>3-What should I do? (I assume, pick a nameserver and manually input
> it to RESOLV2 using a text editor.)

I depends. Are you DSL or dialup?

>4-Why isn't this process automatic?

I don't know. What did you do to make it not automatic?

> I don't ever recall inputting
> a value to RESOLV2 in all my years of fiddling with OS/2.

I don't know that that matters. There are many ways to get values into
RESOLV2 and unless you actually understand when and how RESOLV and RESOLV2
are used by the TCP/IP stack it's not all that unexpected that you might
not even realize when you were updating it.

FWIW, knowing when RESOLV and RESOLV2 are used can be confusing. The
documentation is not all that clearly written and I really haven't needed
to do the testing needed to validate that I am even reading the
documentation correctly.

Your RESOLV2 should probably be:

domain camblab.com
nameserver 64.94.247.10
nameserver 63.251.137.6

Your RESOLV can probably be empty since it's basically owned by the PPP
interface.

Of course some of this might change once you tell me the applicable
details of your setup.

HTT,

Steven

Return to [ 15 | April | 2004 ]