Return to [ 08 | August | 2004 ]

Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 12:12:58 PDT7
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Adding SCSI after the install

In <20040808183239.VUHU2023.mta9.adelphia.net@[192.168.1.99]>, on 08/08/04

at 11:32 AM, Michael Rakijas said:

>Sorry, that was the meaning I was trying to convey. The real story was
>that I tried to add the SCSI drivers to a diskette booted install but I
>couldn't get it to work. Not being able to tell where the problem was
>(was it me or was something not working?), I went to the temporary IDE
>CDROM strategy -
>apparently with good reason, I see now.

IDE is always easier these days, along long as you can handle the
performance hit.

>Do you happen to know which one? I tried to use each of the supplied
>SymBIOS drivers (SYM8XX.ADD and SYM_HI.ADD) and these didn't seem to

Probably SYM8XX.ADD.

In general, to make a SCSI CD work on system that starts out all IDE, you
need to add and ADD driver compatible the adapter and an ASPI driver to
serve as an interface between the ADD driver and the upper level DMD.

>I tried that and it either is still not loading or just not reacting to
>the switch. No message or driver loading is visible. Even an Alt-F2
>doesn't seem to make a difference in being able to see any kind of
>message.

So far it appears that the driver is not seeing the card for some reason.

>As an aside, does this include the 8mm Exabytes (8505) that I may want to
>use in a different machine, do you know?

It depends on the backup software you use. BA2K uses ASPI to talk to the
tape drive. BakupWiz might require OS2SCSI. I'd have to check.

HTH,

Steven

Return to [ 08 | August | 2004 ]