Return to [ 22 | August | 2004 ]

Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 18:24:16 PDT7
From: Peter Skye <pskye@peterskye.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: AaronEditor a minor warning (was: NewView, AaronEditor help)

Peter Skye wrote last Tuesday 17Aug2004:

> here's my AaronEditor (AE) problem if someone can help:
> . . . How do I get my own custom icons to appear on my
> text files instead of the AE icon? . . . For some
> reason the AE icon is overriding my custom text file
> icons whereas the E.exe icon did not.

(Thanks to Harry for forwarding my message to Aaron.)

Aaron just responded to me and I thought I should pass along the
"warning". There is a problem with his AE (AaronEditor): It *removes*
ALL extended attributes from any file it works on.

In my particular case, that's why my custom icons disappear. Custom
icons are either stored directly in a file's EAs or there's a pointer in
the EAs which point to the .ico file containing the icon to be used. In
either case, AE zaps the EAs so the file no longer has a "custom icon".
And, lacking an icon, PM then displays the icon of the application
"Associated" with the file type or name mask. Since a file's "type" is
also in the EAs (as the .TYPE EA), there sure ain't no type
association! So PM, lacking an EA for an icon or an EA for a
pointer to an icon or an EA for a type so it can Associate an icon,
throws up its little PM multitasking hands and checks the OS2.INI file
for file name association (PMWP_ASSOC_FILTER). Voila! What
redundancy! OS2SYS.INI is still whole! (Although I didn't check its
EAs!) PM, ecstatic that it can successfully complete its search for the
missing icon, rescues the EA-less file's icon-less life with the icon of
installation choice, in this case Aaron's Editor.

Apologies. I get carried away sometimes.

To summarize, if you use AaronEditor to rebyte your text files you'll
soon be seeing its icon *everywhere*. What a magnificent stroke of
marketing genius! I wish _I_ had thought of this!

Better save your custom icons "just in case". I keep mine in my
\OS2Skye.ico\ directory.

- Peter

Return to [ 22 | August | 2004 ]