Return to [ 23 | August | 2004 ]

Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 19:01:49 PDT7
From: "Harry Motin" <hmotin@sbcglobal.net >
To: < "scoug-help@scoug.com" > scoug-help@scoug.com >
Subject: SCOUG-Help: DSL Questions

Gary,

I have SBC/Yahoo DSL and I love it. The DSL comes into the SBC modem. From there
it goes to a Netgear router. From the router in goes out to all the LAN computers on
Cat5E ethernet wire.

Therefore, I have a several of suggestions for you (boy, you asked for it!!):

1. Get a homerun line installed between your telephone box on the
outside of the house and the DSL modem. See if Earthlink can/will install it.

2. Get a router/firewall and place it after your DSL modem and before
your LAN

3. Have the ISP company install the DSL on your laptop, which is
Windows (NT).

4. Do not let the ISP company install their proprietary browser and other
software on the laptop. You only want the bare DSL installation.

5. Get a software firewall for the laptop. NOTE: you can get Zone Alarm
free (not Zone Alarm Pro, which you have to for which you have to pay). I'm not
suggesting that you get Zone Alarm. I'm only pointing out that its free.

6. Get the Injoy Pro software firewall and install it on the ESC or Warp
computer. Use that computer, the Injoy firewall and a second NIC as the gateway to
your other OS/2-type computer.

Here are my reasons for all of the above.

A. A homerun line is the best way to get DSL. The DSL/analog telephone
filtering occurs outside your home in the telephone box. Inside your home your
telphones will be free of any DSL high frequency noise. You will not have to use any
inline filters on your telephones inside. Those inline filters sometimes don't work or are
tricky to set up right

I got DSL will my telephone company, SBC, because I wanted them to install the
homerun line. The homerun + DSL installation on my wife's XP computer cost $100.00.
But, I have had absolutely no problems, no noise, no nothing.

B. With stateful inspection and NAT the hardware router will protect your
system from outside hackers

C. The ISP will gladly install the DSL on the Windows (laptop) computer.
In doing so, they will bypass your router/firewire (get one, as above) and wire the laptop
directly to their modem. After they finish and your system is up and running, you can
(you have to) modify it by inserting the router (before the LAN) and wiring your ECS 1.1
and Warp 4, FP15 computers. All of that is easy.

D. The ISP browers and software have settings, cookies, advertisements
and other non-privacy features that you do not want (at least I don't). Also, their browers
tend to be fat and run slowly.

E. The software firewalls will further protect your system. The Injoy Pro
and a second NIC will allow you to connect two (2) or more OS/2-type computers to
your LAN and to the Internet without having to buy more software firewalls

Well, that's about it! I know I'll get a lot of comments about all of this!
HCM

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:04:09 PDT7, Gary Granat wrote:

>If you are responding to someone asking for help who
>may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
>REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.
>
>Hi.
>
>Wideband (ADSL) service is now available to my phone number through the serving
>Qwest central office. This is not the only available wideband service (Bresnan
>offers cable wideband, but I'm not sure it is available where I live) but this
>is the first on that is somewhat reasonably priced and that I'm sure is
>available to me.
>
>My ISP (EarthLink) currently has a "deal" whereby the activation charge
>($99.00) is fully discounted and I pay $19.95/mo for the first two months
>($39.95/mo for each month thereafter). I currently pay $21.95/mo for unlimited
>dialup service, so the increase is not unreasonable.
>
>Now, for the gotchas. They provide the ADSL modem, a filter kit (three inline
>microfilters and a Y-adapter which they call a phone line splitter), EarthLink
>DSL software on CD, and some literature. For an additional $9.95, they will
>provide a Linksys Wireless Router and a Linksys Wireless Card or USB adapter so
>that one can network one's home systems on the DSL line (a nice idea, but I'm
>not interested in setting up a wireless LAN at the moment). The system
>requirements they list are (aside from system speed, memory, etc. which I can
>satisfy without any problem) are Windows (98, 98SE, ME, 2000, or XP). I don't
>have any Windows installed -- excepting Windows NT Workstation 4.0 on the
>ThinkPad -- and I don't want any of them.
>
>Before I call EarthLink to beard the lion, I would like to get some idea from
>those assembled regarding DSL as a service, and what -- if any -- problems I
>could anticipate in setting up such service on my peer-to-peer home LAN. The
>LAN is currently running 100BaseT on all three systems (Soyo Dragon, DFI, and
>ThinkPad). My primary system -- the Dragon -- is running eCS 1.1 (no updates);
>the other two systems are running Warp 4, FP15. I have done some online
>research and am thinking in terms of (listed in order of ascending price at
>TigerDirect.com) either a D-Link DI-604 4-Port Cable/DSL Router; or, a Linksys
>BEFSR41 4-Port 10/100 Cable/DSL Router; or, a Linksys BEFSX41 4-Port Cable/DSL
>Router. All three seem to provide some degree of firewall protection, with the
>BEFSX41 seeming to have the most comprehensive set of facilities. At this
>point, my preference is the DI-604, but that is certainly _not_ carved in
>stone.
>
>What software do I need to add in order to make this lash up work? Are there
>any choices in this?
>
>Thanks for you time and your comments.
>
>--gary

Return to [ 23 | August | 2004 ]