Return to [ 23 | August | 2004 ]

Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 15:09:47 PDT7
From: Sheridan George <s-geo@usa.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: DSL Questions

Gary Granat wrote:

> Hi.

not interested in setting up a wireless LAN at the moment). The system
> requirements they list are (aside from system speed, memory, etc. which I can
> satisfy without any problem) are Windows (98, 98SE, ME, 2000, or XP). I don't
> have any Windows installed -- excepting Windows NT Workstation 4.0 on the
> ThinkPad -- and I don't want any of them.

Which simply means you will have to take responsibility for the installation. "Yo pays yo money and
yo makes it work."

> Before I call EarthLink to beard the lion, I would like to get some idea from
> those assembled regarding DSL as a service, and what -- if any -- problems I
> could anticipate in setting up such service on my peer-to-peer home LAN. The
> LAN is currently running 100BaseT on all three systems (Soyo Dragon, DFI, and
> ThinkPad). My primary system -- the Dragon -- is running eCS 1.1 (no updates);
> the other two systems are running Warp 4, FP15. I have done some online
> research and am thinking in terms of (listed in order of ascending price at
> TigerDirect.com) either a D-Link DI-604 4-Port Cable/DSL Router; or, a Linksys
> BEFSR41 4-Port 10/100 Cable/DSL Router; or, a Linksys BEFSX41 4-Port Cable/DSL
> Router. All three seem to provide some degree of firewall protection, with the
> BEFSX41 seeming to have the most comprehensive set of facilities. At this
> point, my preference is the DI-604, but that is certainly _not_ carved in
> stone.

I have an SMC 7004BR Router/firewall/print server (it's been superseded by another model) that I've
been using for more than two years. The Cable/DSL modem feeds the WAN socket on the SMC and my LAN
plugs into the switch's ports. There is a firewall between the WAN and the LAN ports. (According
to http://www.grc.com I'm stealth except for one port that is closed. Because that one port has not
been made stealth, a hacker knows I there but because it's closed s/he still can't get in.)

The SMC has a built in DHCP server. I set all of my eCS/Warp 4 machines to operate with DHCP. That
takes care of that part of the setup. A benefit to DHCP was when we bought a WinXP machine for my
wife's business. I set it to DHCP and presto it was on line!

The SMC is browser based. I logged onto the SMC using the supplied IP (192.168.1.1 IIRC), changed
its address to 192.168.1.253, set the WAN port for DHCP (a requirement of my ISP), and turned on the
DHP server for my LAN.

In the TCP/IP stack I set the routing to point to my router (192.168.1.253).

I believe that is the list of all the things I needed to do.

My short list for a router/firewall/switch:
1. browser based setup (gets rid of Win driver requirement)
2. Can be hard coded for a static IP or be a DHCP client if your ISP requires DHCP
3. can be adjusted to be a DHCP server for your ease of LAN address administration
4. can be connected to a cable/DSL modem by ethernet.

> What software do I need to add in order to make this lash up work? Are there
> any choices in this?

With the setup being browser based, I didn't need any other software. Even the tcp/ip printing via
ethernet print servers is a Warp built in.

Sheridan

Return to [ 23 | August | 2004 ]