Return to [ 22 | August | 2004 ]

Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 21:56:44 PDT7
From: Peter Skye <pskye@peterskye.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: AaronEditor a minor warning (was: NewView, AaronEditor

Bob wrote:

> The reason I am not using AE is it has a line
> size limitation (last tested about 4 months ago).

I just tested and it's 32K (well, 32K-3). I guess he's using a 15-bit
counter.

> The line size is much larger than that of EPM but less
> than E (as far as I know E does not have a line size
> limitation but that the file must fit in memory).

EPM has a maximum line length of 1599 iirc.

I just tested E.exe and it has a maximum line length of 32766 (32K-2).

You're correct that E allows longer lines than AE, but only one byte.
(Well there you go then. E wins.)

> When AE fixes the line size problem I would switch because I like it.

I just tested with a file containing a 64K line. E simply terminates.
AE truncates at 250 characters (with my 64K file, ymmv). EPM wraps the
long line into 1600-byte display lines but only lets you see the
beginning of these wrapped lines.

> I don't understand why anyone would write an editor with a maximum line size.

As an investigative tool I too would like infinite line length. But for
daily text chores I've never typed or encountered a line that long. Are
you using Rexx with NUMERIC DIGITS 100000 to calculate pi or something?

Perhaps emacs would work for you. Or vi. Both are open source and free
(afaik) and quite robust, and both have been around long enough for
bubba the developer to stretch the line length out past the Oort Cloud.
Neither is PM, however.

- Peter

Return to [ 22 | August | 2004 ]