Return to [ 29 | February | 2004 ]

Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 13:16:08 PST8
From: "i-lists" <i-lists@synass.net >
To: scarter@vcnet.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Suggestion for TCPip number sequence / structure !?

Hi Steve
Thanks for your comparing thoughts !
You are on a similar way like me but with somewhat different =

numbers but also well grouped and structured !!

You are absolutely correct: =

I also need to keep mine simple ;-))

When I started with my SMC router together with the cable modem =

some years ago I also set the router to 254, the dynamic systems =

(guests and tests) to 216-219 and and the static (own systems) to =

221-225.

At that time a single printer was connected to the router's printer =

server on 254 too.

Again later I changed to a NETgear PS-113, 3-port Printserver =

and assumed that I will use 251-253 ...
=2E.. but learnt that the printserver needs only one TCPip address !!!

Now, with an xDSL modem and with my coming WL AP I am =

reconsidering the number structure again to keep it simple.
I was thinking of it's real sequence i.e.:

first the modem =3D 101
second the router =3D 111

then the small dynamic group =3D 121-29
then the static systems =3D 131-39

then the printservers =3D 141-14x

as for the AP I thought of =3D either 22x or 23x

Is my consideration and thinking correct ???
Or do you suggest something better ??

TIA for your brainstorming feedbacks ;-)
Have a nice Sunday eveneing
svobi =

scarter@vcnet.com on 29/02/2004 20:44:31
To: i-lists@synass.net
cc: =

Subject: Re: SCOUG-Help: Suggestion for TCPip number sequence / =

structure !?

Also posted to SCOUG list, but it seems to be slow/down at the moment.
-----------------------

Svobi:
=

I think a scheme like yours could be a good idea =

and I use one myself. I need to keep mine simple, =

because I rarely need or want to re-configure anything. =

It's hard to remember what I did last time. =

192.168.123.001 - 010 DHCP for windows machine and sometimes
laptops/wireless AP. =

192.168.123.011 - 254 Static =

192.168.123.254 SMC Router/firewall box with built-in
printserver =

192.168.123.253 Printserver for LaserJet =

192.168.123.252 Printserver for tabloid ("B") size color inkjet
=

192.168.123.251 Reserved for future printserver =

192.168.123.250 Reserved for future printserver =

=

If I need more DHCP addresses, I'll start taking them out of the BOTTOM =

of the Static range. I like the idea of having my printers on a static
IP.
It seems like it might help to make troubleshooting easier. The Router
had =

to be on a static IP, so that set the pattern for the rest. =

I set the wireless AP for DHCP passthrough, rather than fixed IP. =

Most folks these days seems to expect to plug it in and have it =

work, without any further fuss -- me included. So I set the fixed =

hardware to Fixed IP and the moveable hardware to DHCP. =

-- Steve =

=

++++++++++++++++++++
On 2/29/04, Svobi wrote, in part:

>Hello SCOUGians
> =

>I have a working TCPip envrionment with, for me, =

>somewhat logical design but I would like to hear some =

>other opinions !
>
>Does it matter how the TCPip numbers are given or =

>would it be a benefit to keep a structured on like i.e.
>following:
>
>192.168.zzz.1 for DSL modem
>192.168.zzz.11 for DSL router
>
>192.168.zzz.y21 static for system 1
>192.168.zzz.y22 static for system 2 (notebook)
>192.168.zzz.y23 static for system 3
>192.168.zzz.y24 static for system 4
>192.168.zzz.y25 static for system 5
>192.168.zzz.y26-y29 dynamic for guest or test systems
>
>192.168.zzz.y31 for print server
>
>The listed units here are the same as in my environment.
>
>Now, ONE more aspect has to be checked & integrated:
>
>192.168.xxx.y22 now is my notebook with WL abilities and =

>I am going to install an AP soon !!
>

>How shall I change my current TCPip number structure to =

>implement this / perhaps also guest and test AP's ???
>
>Your suggestions are very appreciated ;-)
>TIA and have a nice Sunday,
>svobi =

Return to [ 29 | February | 2004 ]