Return to [ 23 | February | 2004 ]

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:48:04 PST8
From: waynec@linkline.com
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re:Actiontec modem again

444
This is a MIME-formatted message. If you see this text it means that your
mail software cannot handle MIME-formatted messages.
--=_0_69571_1077590932
waynec@linkline.com writes:
Well, I seem to have resolved the scsi hard drive problem, but the modem
issue is back. I'd appreciate suggestions on the modem problem.
Wayne
******** details follow:
I ordered a new scsi cable and received it saturday. It's been working fine,
with one drive sync'ing at 160mb and the second one at 80mb; since the
drives are identical, I'm not sure why they sync at different speeds, but
they seem to be solid for 2 days now, whereas they wern't working at all
before the cable swap.
But, now I can't get the Actiontek modem to work. For some time it was
coming up as irq 3, and working, but since I had the box apart to put the
new scsi cable in, it is now coming up as irq 5. Changing the com.sys
statement in config.sys doesn't help.
If I run the Actiontek pmdmcfg utility it shows the modem as I/O port CC00
and IRQ 5. The PCI sniffer shows those same values.
With com.sys parameter Compuserve CIM gives this message
(port,addr,irq)
(4,CC00,5) "Could not initialize port"
(2,CC00,5) same
(3,CC00,5) same
(4,CC00,3) former setting "Modem not responding"
Altering the modem port in Compuserve does not seem to affect the problem,
it is apparently related only to the irq setting.
Here is the output from the PCI sniffer (full output attached as file):
Vendor 11C1h Lucent/Agere Systems (Was AT&T MicroElectronics)
Device 0480h Venus WinModem (V90, 56KFlex)
Command 0007h (I/O Access, Memory Access, BusMaster)
Status 0290h (Has Capabilities List, Supports Back-To-Back Trans., Medium
Timing)
Revision 00h, Header Type 00h, Bus Latency 00h
Self test 00h (Self test not supported)
PCI Class Simple Communication, type Hayes Compatible Modem, 16650
Subsystem ID 048011C1h Unknown (Generic ID)
Subsystem Vendor 11C1h Lucent/Agere Systems (Was AT&T MicroElectronics)
Address 0 is a Memory Address (anywhere in 0-4Gb) : DD023000h
Address 1 is an I/O Port : 0000CC00h
Address 2 is an I/O Port : 0000D000h
Address 3 is an I/O Port : 0000D400h
System IRQ 5, INT# A
New Capabilities List Information :
Power Management Capabilities
Supports power state D2
Current Power State : D0 (Device fully-operational, no power saving)
> [...]
>>> WinXP. I
>>> keep hoping someone on this forum can clue me in on this stuff.
>>
>> I would not put any stock at all into what the Win-32 equivalent of
>> Hardware
>> Mgr. reports to you. I have seen it showing *every* device as being
>> supported
>> by one of two IRQs !! Yeah, I've heard of IRQ sharing, but that has to
>> be
>> impossible -- right ? And they have some kind of dynamic assignment at
>> boot-up,
>> so you might not see consistent IRQs, anyway.
>>
>> Jordan
>
> Well, I am still clueless and going downhill. As you may recall, I noticed
> this all start happening a few days after I installed a 2940U scsi2 PCI
> card with an HP cdrw attached, plus an Actiontec PCI modem.
>
> The initial indications were that the first scsi drive had a hardware
> error (ie, unable to access the drive) while booted under WinXP. I noticed
> during the adapter bios boots that the first scsi drive often would sync
> at something less than 160mb (usually 40mb) and the second scsi drive
> occasionally showed that same low sync symptom.
>
> Day before yesterday the first scsi drive (address #2) stopped showing up
> in the scsi adapter bios display (and in the bios utility program),
> despite my efforts to reseat cables, switch connectors on my 4-drive U160
> cable, and having previously removed the modem and moved the scsi adapters
> to different PCI ports. And, the second scsi drive (address #4) still
> didn't always show 160mb sync, it was frequently less.
>
> So, I removed the power and scsi connectors from the first scsi drive
> (address 2). After powering up, the second scsi drive now seemed to be
> sync'ing solidly at 160mb through several power up/down sequences, so I
> put the modem back in, but left the case cover off to try to remove heat
> as an issue. Having backed up the partitions on that first scsi drive, I
> restored them to the ide drive where both WinXP and OS/2 reside.
>
> All seemed OK again until last night. I noticed the second scsi drive was
> only showing 40mb sync during adapter power-up boots. Then today, while
> booted under WinXP I lost access to the second scsi drive, and the WinXP
> operating system locked up when I then (as a test check) tried to read a
> cdrom on the scsi2 cdrw drive. On power down/up, the second scsi drive
> didn't show at all on the scsi adapter bios listing.
>
> I tried a different scsi2 cable on the 2940U (I don't have a second U160
> cable to try)... no success, still can't see the remaining scsi drive.
>
> I removed the 2940U completely. No change, the scsi drive still doesn't
> show up at all on the 29160 adapter's bootup listing or on it's bios
> utility program.
>
> Meanwhile, the PCI NIC card, and the PCI USB smart media reader (which I
> use only under WinXP and which doesn't show up under OS/2), continued to

--=_0_69571_1077590932
Craig Hart's PCI+AGP bus sniffer, version 0.44ávk, freeware made in 1996-2002.
PCI BIOS Version 2.10 found!
Number of PCI Busses : 2
PCI Characteristics : Config Mechanism 1 Special Cycle Mechanism 1
Searching for PCI Devices using the OEMHLP$ driver
Vendor 1106h VIA Technologies Inc
Device 3189h Unknown
Command 0006h (Memory Access, BusMaster)
Status 2230h (Has Capabilities List, Supports 66MHz, Received Master Abort, Medium Timing)
Revision 00h, Header Type 00h, Bus Latency 08h
Self test 00h (Self test not supported)
PCI Class Bridge, type PCI to HOST
Subsystem ID 31891106h Unknown (Generic ID)
Subsystem Vendor 1106h VIA Technologies Inc
Address 0 is a Memory Address (anywhere in 0-4Gb, Prefetchable) : D0000000h
New Capabilities List Information :
AGP Capabilities, Version 2.0
AGP Speed(s) Supported : 1x 2x 4x
FW Transfers Supported : No
>4Gb Address Space Supported : No
Sideband Addressing Supported : Yes
Maximum Command Queue Length : 32 bytes
AGP Speed Selected : None Selected
FW Transfers Enabled : No
>4Gb Address Space Enabled : No
AGP Enabled : No
Sideband Addressing Enabled : No
Current Command Queue Length : 32 bytes
Power Management Capabilities
Current Power State : D0 (Device fully-operational, no power saving)
Vendor 1106h VIA Technologies Inc
Device B168h Unknown
Command 0107h (I/O Access, Memory Access, BusMaster, System Errors)
Status 2230h (Has Capabilities List, Supports 66MHz, Received Master Abort, Medium Timing)
Revision 00h, Header Type 01h, Bus Latency 00h
Self test 00h (Self test not supported)
PCI Class Bridge, type PCI to PCI
Primary bus number 0, Secondary bus number 1, Subordinate bus number 1
Secondary bus latency 00h, Secondary bus status 2230h
Secondary bus controls : ISA mapping, VGA mapping
I/O Port range accessable beyond bridge : F000h to 0FFFh
New Capabilities List Information :
Power Management Capabilities
Supports power state D1
Current Power State : D0 (Device fully-operational, no power saving)
Vendor 9005h Adaptec
Device 0080h 29160/N/LP Ultra160 (AIC-7892A) SCSI Host Adapter
Command 0007h (I/O Access, Memory Access, BusMaster)
Status 02B0h (Has Capabilities List, Supports 66MHz, Supports Back-To-Back Trans., Medium Timing)
Revision 02h, Header Type 00h, Bus Latency 20h
Self test 80h (Self test supported: Completion code 0h - OK)
Cache line size 32 Bytes (8 DWords)
PCI Class Storage, type SCSI
Subsystem ID E2209005h 29160LP Low Profile Ultra160 SCSI Controller
Subsystem Vendor 9005h Adaptec
Address 0 is an I/O Port : 0000C000h
Address 1 is a Memory Address (anywhere in 64-bit space) : 00000000DD020000h
System IRQ 5, INT# A
Expansion ROM of 128Kb decoded by this card
New Capabilities List Information :
Power Management Capabilities
Current Power State : D0 (Device fully-operational, no power saving)
Vendor 9004h Adaptec Inc
Device 8178h AHA-2940U/UW/2940D Ultra/Ultra Wide/Dual SCSI Host Adapter
Command 0007h (I/O Access, Memory Access, BusMaster)
Status 0280h (Supports Back-To-Back Trans., Medium Timing)
Revision 00h, Header Type 00h, Bus Latency 20h
Self test 00h (Self test not supported)
Cache line size 32 Bytes (8 DWords)
PCI Class Storage, type SCSI
Address 0 is an I/O Port : 0000C400h
Address 1 is a Memory Address (anywhere in 0-4Gb) : DD021000h
System IRQ 11, INT# A
Expansion ROM of 64Kb decoded by this card
Vendor 10B7h 3COM Corp, Networking Division
Device 9200h 3C905C-TX Fast Etherlink for PC Management NIC
Command 0007h (I/O Access, Memory Access, BusMaster)
Status 0210h (Has Capabilities List, Medium Timing)
Revision 74h, Header Type 00h, Bus Latency 20h
Self test 00h (Self test not supported)
Cache line size 32 Bytes (8 DWords)
PCI Class Network, type Ethernet
Subsystem ID 100010B7h 3C905C-TX Fast Etherlink for PC Management NIC
Subsystem Vendor 10B7h 3COM Corp, Networking Division
Address 0 is an I/O Port : 0000C800h
Address 1 is a Memory Address (anywhere in 0-4Gb) : DD022000h
System IRQ 11, INT# A
[...]
Device 3038h VT83C572,VT82C586/A/B,VT82C596B,VT82C686A USB Controller
Command 0007h (I/O Access, Memory Access, BusMaster)
Status 0210h (Has Capabilities List, Medium Timing)
Revision 80h, Header Type 80h, Bus Latency 20h
Self test 00h (Self test not supported)
Cache line size 32 Bytes (8 DWords)
PCI Class Serial, type USB (UHCI)
Subsystem ID 30381106h Unknown (Generic ID)
Subsystem Vendor 1106h VIA Technologies Inc
Address 4 is an I/O Port : 0000D800h
System IRQ 5, INT# A
New Capabilities List Information :
Power Management Capabilities
Supports power state D2
Supports power state D1
Current Power State : D0 (Device fully-operational, no power saving)
Vendor 1106h VIA Technologies Inc
Device 3038h VT83C572,VT82C586/A/B,VT82C596B,VT82C686A USB Controller
Command 0007h (I/O Access, Memory Access, BusMaster)
Status 0210h (Has Capabilities List, Medium Timing)
Revision 80h, Header Type 80h, Bus Latency 20h
Self test 00h (Self test not supported)
Cache line size 32 Bytes (8 DWords)
PCI Class Serial, type USB (UHCI)
Subsystem ID 30381106h Unknown (Generic ID)
Subsystem Vendor 1106h VIA Technologies Inc
Address 4 is an I/O Port : 0000DC00h
System IRQ 5, INT# B
New Capabilities List Information :
Power Management Capabilities
Supports power state D2
Supports power state D1
Current Power State : D0 (Device fully-operational, no power saving)
Vendor 1106h VIA Technologies Inc
Device 3038h VT83C572,VT82C586/A/B,VT82C596B,VT82C686A USB Controller
Command 0007h (I/O Access, Memory Access, BusMaster)
Status 0210h (Has Capabilities List, Medium Timing)
Revision 80h, Header Type 80h, Bus Latency 20h
Self test 00h (Self test not supported)
Cache line size 32 Bytes (8 DWords)
PCI Class Serial, type USB (UHCI)
Subsystem ID 30381106h Unknown (Generic ID)
Subsystem Vendor 1106h VIA Technologies Inc
Address 4 is an I/O Port : 0000E000h
System IRQ 11, INT# C
New Capabilities List Information :
Power Management Capabilities
Supports power state D2
Supports power state D1
Current Power State : D0 (Device fully-operational, no power saving)
Vendor 1106h VIA Technologies Inc
Device 3104h Unknown
Command 0007h (I/O Access, Memory Access, BusMaster)
Status 0210h (Has Capabilities List, Medium Timing)
Revision 82h, Header Type 00h, Bus Latency 20h
Self test 00h (Self test not supported)
Cache line size 32 Bytes (8 DWords)
PCI Class Serial, type USB (UHCI)
Subsystem ID 31041106h Unknown (Generic ID)
Subsystem Vendor 1106h VIA Technologies Inc
Address 0 is a Memory Address (anywhere in 0-4Gb) : DD024000h
System IRQ 11, INT# D
New Capabilities List Information :
Power Management Capabilities
Supports power state D2
Supports power state D1
Current Power State : D0 (Device fully-operational, no power saving)
Vendor 1106h VIA Technologies Inc
Device 3177h VT8233A PCI to ISA Bridge
Command 0087h (I/O Access, Memory Access, BusMaster, Wait Cycles)
Status 0210h (Has Capabilities List, Medium Timing)
Revision 00h, Header Type 80h, Bus Latency 00h
Self test 00h (Self test not supported)
PCI Class Bridge, type PCI to ISA
Subsystem ID 31771106h Unknown (Generic ID)
Subsystem Vendor 1106h VIA Technologies Inc
New Capabilities List Information :
Power Management Capabilities
Current Power State : D0 (Device fully-operational, no power saving)
Vendor 1106h VIA Technologies Inc
Device 0571h VT82C586/B,VT82C686A EIDE Controller
Command 0007h (I/O Access, Memory Access, BusMaster)
Status 0290h (Has Capabilities List, Supports Back-To-Back Trans., Medium Timing)
Revision 06h, Header Type 00h, Bus Latency 20h
Self test 00h (Self test not supported)
PCI Class Storage, type IDE
PCI EIDE Controller Features :
BusMaster EIDE is supported
Primary Channel is at I/O Port 01F0h and IRQ 14
Secondary Channel is at I/O Port 0170h and IRQ 15
Subsystem ID 05711106h Unknown (Generic ID)
Subsystem Vendor 1106h VIA Technologies Inc
Address 4 is an I/O Port : 0000E400h
New Capabilities List Information :
Power Management Capabilities
Current Power State : D0 (Device fully-operational, no power saving)
Vendor 1106h VIA Technologies Inc
Device 3059h VT8233 AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller
Command 0001h (I/O Access)
Status 0210h (Has Capabilities List, Medium Timing)
Revision 50h, Header Type 00h, Bus Latency 00h
Self test 00h (Self test not supported)
PCI Class Multimedia, type Audio
Subsystem ID F6141565h Unknown
Subsystem Vendor 1565h Biostar Microtech Int'l Corp
Address 0 is an I/O Port : 0000E800h
System IRQ 11, INT# C
New Capabilities List Information :
Power Management Capabilities
Supports power state D2
Supports power state D1
Current Power State : D0 (Device fully-operational, no power saving)
Vendor 102Bh Matrox Graphics Inc
Device 0525h MGA-G400/450 Chipset
Command 0007h (I/O Access, Memory Access, BusMaster)
Status 0290h (Has Capabilities List, Supports Back-To-Back Trans., Medium Timing)
Revision 85h, Header Type 00h, Bus Latency 40h
Self test 00h (Self test not supported)
Cache line size 32 Bytes (8 DWords)
PCI Class Display, type VGA
Subsystem ID 0641102Bh Millennium G450 AGP Dual Head
Subsystem Vendor 102Bh Matrox Graphics Inc
Address 0 is a Memory Address (anywhere in 0-4Gb, Prefetchable) : D8000000h
Address 1 is a Memory Address (anywhere in 0-4Gb) : DA000000h
Address 2 is a Memory Address (anywhere in 0-4Gb) : DB000000h
System IRQ 5, INT# A
Expansion ROM of 128Kb decoded by this card
New Capabilities List Information :
Power Management Capabilities
Current Power State : D0 (Device fully-operational, no power saving)
AGP Capabilities, Version 2.0
AGP Speed(s) Supported : 1x 2x 4x
FW Transfers Supported : No
>4Gb Address Space Supported : No
Sideband Addressing Supported : Yes
Maximum Command Queue Length : 32 bytes
AGP Speed Selected : 1x
FW Transfers Enabled : No
>4Gb Address Space Enabled : No
AGP Enabled : Yes
Sideband Addressing Enabled : Yes
Current Command Queue Length : 32 bytes
ROM PCI IRQ routing table Windows 9x Compatibility Tests....
ROM IRQ routing table found at F000h:DEB0h
Table Version 1.0 - OK
Table size 176 bytes - OK
Table Checksum 49h - OK
IRQ's dedicated to PCI : 5,11
The ROM PCI IRQ routing table appears to be OK.
IRQ Summary: IRQs 5,11,14,15 are used by PCI devices
Shared IRQs: IRQ 5 is shared by 5 PCI Devices
IRQ 11 is shared by 5 PCI Devices
--=_0_69571_1077590932--

Return to [ 23 | February | 2004 ]