Return to [ 04 | February | 2004 ]

Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 12:47:18 PST8
From: waynec@linkline.com
To: "Scoug Help Group OS/2" <scoug-help@scoug.com >
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Actiontec modem setup

I just acquired an Actiontec V90 PCI call waiting modem for my new computer
and I'm having difficulty getting it set up correctly. I could use some
help, as I admit I am not real knowledgeable on modems.

I followed the instructions in the Actiontec booklet to install the modem,
except I was reluctant to perform "Full Hardware Detection" on bootup (I've
heard in the past that this can cause problems), so I skipped that step....
was that a mistake? (see details below)

Then I followed Actiontec's remaining setup instructions:

1. I ran their dos pmdmcfg utility and got:

I/O port CC00
IRQ # 11

.... does that mean bootup hardware detection was not really needed?

2. copied their os/2 com.sys program to my os2/boot/ folder

3. altered the device statement in my config.sys to read:

DEVICE=D:\OS2\BOOT\COM.SYS (2,CC00,11) .... com2 is what I used for CIM

..... I also later tried DEVICE=D:\OS2\BOOT\COM.SYS (4,CC00,11)

note: I previously had a no-name modem set up under Compuserve's old CIM
program and I still use CIM on my old computer to access email. The old
modem was set up as a US Robotics Sportster.

I tried to use the Actiontec modem with my old Compuserve CIM program with
the old modem settings but it gave me an immediate error:
"Could not initialize port".

I set the CIM modem initialize string to at%T19,0,19; same error . This is
an instruction string the Actiontec manual says to use with a "terminal
program such as HyperTerminal" to set the country code, but I'm not familiar
with "terminal programs".

I set the CIM modem initialize string to at%fw2s109=2s38=1s37=14; same error

Tried using my old IN-JOY dialer by setting up a new profile, and it gave me
a "port open fail"

I used the PCIsniffer program (I have it, I just don't fully understand it's
output) and got the following entry that appears to be my modem (although I
did previously have another Actiontec modem on this machine that seemed to
be the wrong type, so I replaced it with the current modem):

11C1 0480 AT&T Microelectronics (Lucent) Venus WinModem (V90, 56KFlex

The part about the "WinModem" is troublesome, but the modem itself has a
label saying it's a "pro" version, and it has a larger component card than a
WinModem usually does, and I got the instruction book and software cdrom
with it.

I assume the problem is more basic than the modem command string, more like
it can't get to the modem at all... should I do the "full hardware
detection" bootup? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Wayne

Return to [ 04 | February | 2004 ]