Return to [ 05 | February | 2004 ]

Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 01:25:33 PST8
From: waynec@linkline.com
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Actiontec modem setup

Ray Davison writes:

> waynec@linkline.com wrote:
>>
>> I just acquired an Actiontec V90 PCI call waiting modem for my new
>> computer and I'm having difficulty getting it set up correctly. I could
>> use some help, as I admit I am not real knowledgeable on modems.
>> I followed the instructions in the Actiontec booklet to install the
>> modem, except I was reluctant to perform "Full Hardware Detection" on
>> bootup (I've heard in the past that this can cause problems), so I
>> skipped that step.... was that a mistake? (see details below)
>> Then I followed Actiontec's remaining setup instructions:
>> 1. I ran their dos pmdmcfg utility and got:
>> I/O port CC00
>> IRQ # 11
>
> I have an Actiontec PCIV9212-01CW. I used what PMDMCFG said and it works.
>
>> .... does that mean bootup hardware detection was not really needed?
>> 2. copied their os/2 com.sys program to my os2/boot/ folder
>
> OS/2 generally installs COM.SYS. The COM.SYS that came with the modem is
> from IBM. Use the newest version you have.

I used the version from the Actiontec cdrom, which had a newer date than the
one installed on my system (although I'm not sure why, since I am at Warp 4
fp15), and I think the one on the cdrom was a tad larger. I will try going
back to the original com.sys.

>> 3. altered the device statement in my config.sys to read:
>> DEVICE=D:\OS2\BOOT\COM.SYS (2,CC00,11) .... com2 is what I used for CIM
>> ..... I also later tried DEVICE=D:\OS2\BOOT\COM.SYS (4,CC00,11)
>
> I am using com 4 and have used it since the late eighties because it was
> less likely that something else wanted it.

That's what I first used, then went to com 2 because that's what I used on
my old machine and I wanted to be sure there wasn't some hardware issue with
com 4 (ie, com 3 & 4 not supported or some such).

> My dial up ISP dialer is iLink/2. It is inexpensive and it does what it
> is supposed to do; connect you to your ISP. For the setup string I just
> selected Hays compatible form the iLink set up; AT&F&C1&D2W2 after a
> prefix ATDT.

I'll give your string a try, but I really think my problem is more basic
than that... I think I'm just not even getting connected to the modem to
give it a command string.

> I also downloaded the AT&T Global Network TCP/IP Dialer. This is version
> 1.70.0 copyright 2000. Very slick program, extensive modem search
> function. I assume when they posted it they thought it would be used with
> their service, but the site didn't list any restrictions.

What would this do for me that the IN-JOY dialer doesn't do?

>> I did previously have another Actiontec modem on this machine that seemed
>> to be the wrong type, so I replaced it with the current modem):
>> 11C1 0480 AT&T Microelectronics (Lucent) Venus WinModem (V90, 56KFlex
>> The part about the "WinModem" is troublesome, but the modem itself has a
>> label saying it's a "pro" version, and it has a larger component card
>> than a WinModem usually does, and I got the instruction book and software
>> cdrom with it.
>
> Does the outside of the box, under operating systems, say DOS and OS/2,
> mine does?

Bought it used and didn't get a box, but it came with a user manual and
software cdrom saying it works with OS/2, which is also the way it was
billed on the eBay listing: as a full function hardware modem. Additionally,
the writeup on the only V90 call-waiting internal modem I could find listed
at the Actiontec website said it supports OS/2. I do not think this is the
issue.

> Does the instruction book say how to set up under OS/2?

Yes, as per the steps I listed near the top of my post.

> Mine has about a dozen chips on it, how many does yours have?

Didn't count them, don't wanna pull it back out to do that unless I need to.
But it looked like a full function modem, near-square and not the
rectangular half-card that most WinModems seem to be.

>> I assume the problem is more basic than the modem command string, more
>> like it can't get to the modem at all... should I do the "full hardware
>> detection" bootup?
>
> Sure, why not?

As I said, I've heard this often can do more harm than good. Anybody else
out there have any reservations about using a "full hardware detection"
bootup?

> While checking my modem to try to answer your concerns, I noticed that
> something has changed. I am normally on cable but I do have a dial up as
> backup. I now have a new one; http://access-4-free.com/ $5 one time setup
> gets you ten hours per month forever.
>
> While on cable I can receive mail from the dial up but not send. So I
> dial in and that over rides the cable connection. At least that is the
> way it has worked for a long time. However, just now if Mozilla is
> running the dialers cannot find com 4. Close Mozilla and dial works. This
> may be the first time I have tried this since changing to Mozilla. On
> another machine with an external modem dial over cable with Mozilla
> running works OK.

I don't think I had Mozilla running while I was testing, nor have I noticed
that problem with my old machine, but the old machine has an ide modem. I am
booted under WinXP at the moment, so I can't check now. I can't recall if
Mozilla was up when I was trying to use the modem on my new machine, but I
think not, since I was bouncing OS/2 up & down to try different config.sys
settings. I'll double check when I get a chance.

Thanks for the reply,
Wayne

Return to [ 05 | February | 2004 ]