Return to [ 14 | February | 2004 ]

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 18:38:34 PST8
From: waynec@linkline.com
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: Actiontec modem setup success?--IRQ

J. R. Fox writes:

> Wayne wrote:
>
>> Ideas, anybody?????
>
> If this is a resource conflict of some kind, it must be a fairly obscure one.
> Still sounds like there is some flakey hardware component at work here, but
> this is pretty far out of my depth. You could bring this to a Live Help Desk,
> though it sounds to me like this h/w troubleshooting could take several hours.
> Probably the best thing would be if you had a rather similar 2nd. box, and could
> swap individual components back and forth -- but that might also call for some
> spares, on things like the cable and 29160 card. Unfortunately, this is not practical
> for folks who do not have or need more than one computer. (I may have a 29160
> card that I got for later use, but it's not the Low Profile model.)

Thanks for the sympathy. Unfortunately I am just a home user, so I don't
have access to spare drives, adapters, or cables I did move the adapter
around in my machine, and I did move the cable connectors around, with
occasional success, but eventually I couldn't access either scsi hard drive.
Since the adapter seems to interface fine with the MB and nothing else on
the PCI buses seem to be affected, and it runs it's internal bios programs,
it would seem to me it has to be the cable, something on the drive-side
circuitry of the adapter,or possibly the drives, although it seems unlikely
two drives would fail within a day of each other.

My second computer has scsi-2 devices, but no U160 scsi-3, so it would not
be any help. Nor do I personally know anyone else who has U160 scsi.

By the time I pay for a couple of hours of telephone hardware help, I might
as well buy a cable and a drive (which may be what I end up doing), since a
hardware guy on the phone wouldn't have any more tools to work with than I
have. I also have the option of going all-IDE, which is the cheapest fix and
may be what I end up doing, though very reluctantly.

Wayne

Return to [ 14 | February | 2004 ]