Return to [ 22 | January | 2004 ]

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:36:38 PST8
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: USB

I've never really attempted to get USB working in ECS . . . until a
quick stab at it just now. (This is ECS 1.0. I've had 1.1 for quite
some time, but haven't installed it. I'm loathe to take a working
partition that I depend upon down, until I'm reasonably certain the
replacement is going to work out. My plan is to put 1.1 on the
Shuttle (backup & portable system) *first*, get comfortable with the
install (assuming I have to do it on my own, rather than via a Live
Help Desk) and with the aftermath, *then*, if all has gone well,
revisit the issue with my main desktop system.

Anyway, I had a bunch of USB lines in Config.Sys, put there
automatically when 1.0 was installed, but I had REMmed them out from
the beginning, for various reasons. Now I have a USB 2.0 card in the
system. (The built-in USB 1.1 ports on the motherboard have long been
disabled in the BIOS.) I un-REMmed all the USB lines in Config.Sys,
except for USBKBD, USBMOUSE, & USBCOM, since I have none of these
devices. The UDF driver I kept REMmed out, because I don't have a DVD
drive in this box (and isn't that the one specific purpose of UDF ?),
and because it was causing Traps, right after ECS 1.0 got installed.
(In that regard, I think it may have either had something to do with
the driver Rev., or the positioning of the driver line in Config.Sys)
I next put a CF card in its reader, and booted ECS. It is not seen at
all, so evidently I must not have USB actually working. What is it
that I need to do here ?

I also have an external USB hard drive, for add'l. storage and image
backup. Both of these USB devices were quickly, automatically picked
up by W2K on the Shuttle (a continuing, comparative deficiency on the
part of OS/2). {I can't cross-check with W2K on the mid-tower,
because the W2K boot partitions there have been dead for many weeks
now, and I have managed only brief, fitful attempts at reviving them.}

In view of what Jerry had to say at the Jan. demo -- about LVM
"branding" partitions on the USB media in a way that precluded any
other OS from accessing them -- I also wanted to be very careful re
how I let ECS interact with these devices. If running LVM against
them is required for them to be "seen", I'm not so sure I care to try
that.

TIA.

Jordan

Return to [ 22 | January | 2004 ]