Return to [ 28 | January | 2004 ]

Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 20:21:08 PST8
From: Tom Brown <thombrown@san.rr.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: SmartSuite re-install?

Steven Levine wrote:
> In <40175AB2.6050203@san.rr.com>, on 01/27/04
> at 10:46 PM, Tom Brown said:
>
>>The eCS 1.03
>> partition is dead - don't ask. :-(
>
> OK.
>
>> SYS1059: The system cannot execute the specified program.
>> After a reboot you can install the update to 1.7.1
>> Press any key to continue
>
> Anything in popuplog?

Nothing related to SmartSuite...

>>There are NO references to Lotus or SmartSuite in my CONFIG.SYS, but
>>plenty in the registry (searched with REGEDIT2).
>
> You may need to delete them, but I don't think that's what's cause thing
> failure.
>
>>I can't find anything
>>related in the INI files using INI.EXE from FM/2.
>
> I suspect the installer is looking for writable workspace somewhere, maybe
> drive C:, and failing. What's your drive layout? Check your TMP and TEMP
> settings too.

C: 63,914,954 K bytes free (JFS)
D: 1,423,682 K bytes free (boot drive, HPFS)
E: 514,868,736 bytes free (maint partition, HPFS)
F: 1,066,807 K bytes free (empty, HPFS)
G: 3,478,855 K bytes free (programs & data, JFS)
I: 193,290,240 bytes free (temp, JFS)

SET TMP=I:\var\temp
SET TEMP=I:\var\temp
SET TMPDIR=I:\var\temp

> Also, check \OS2\SYSTEM\EPFIS.INI for references to Smartsuite.

Nothing related to SS.

I moved the TMP directories to the C: drive, thinking that it might be
running out of space on I:, and re-booted. Started the installation
again. It came up with a message that some program that was part of the
install was already running. Not so, but OK, humor it. Rebooted & killed
RXAUTOST. Nothing but eCenter & eComCenter running. Opened a window,
switched to C:, typed Install, selected option 1. I got a box in the
middle of the screen:

EPFIE604: Installation cannot continus
because an installation utility file is
already in use. Calos all versions of
the installation utility and retry the
operation.
CANCEL

I have tried again and it seems to randomly choose between the SYS1059
and the EPFIE604. I have come to the conclusion that the installation
program was written by some first year novice programmer who didn't know
squat about checking prerequisites or logical thinking. It's a piece of
crap!

On one of the attempts, with nothing else running, I got a box in the
middle of the screen saying that it was copying files. It kept adding
dots to the end of the line, then starting back at the beginning. I
could not see any activity on the hard drives, the CDROM dirve, or the
CPU monitor, but I let it run while I went to the gym and transplanted
some roses in the yard. Four hours later, no change.

The lack of useful information reminds me of the computer operators who
used to tell me "The job blew up." They had no further information, and
I had to run it myself to determine the actual cause, ususally that they
had used the wrong input tape or not run a prerequisite job! This was an
internal IBM DP shop where I was the systems programmer.

Enough griping... Do you have any other suggestions? I really appreciate
your help.

--
Tom Brown
thombrown at san dot rr dot com