Return to [ 23 | January | 2004 ]

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 09:58:55 PST8
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Unimaint backup

In <4011447E.3A6C@peterskye.com>, on 01/23/04
at 08:49 AM, Peter Skye said:

>No. I "occasionally" copy my OS2*.INI and dock* files
>from my last backup. I don't do a "special" Desktop
>backup, I just use the Desktop that's in my backup.

I still think you should backup and restore the Desktop tree along with
the INIs. I use the WPS a lot and have relatively large INIs and I just
don't have the problems others are experiencing:

1-23-04 8:15 2,932,866 196 OS2.INI
1-22-04 20:25 278,995 137 OS2SYS.INI

and my backups look like:

1-09-04 23:29 1,765,481 64 SYSBCK01.zip
12-30-03 15:48 1,765,535 64 SYSBCK02.ZIP
12-12-03 22:04 1,759,066 64 SYSBCK03.ZIP
12-12-03 22:00 1,759,306 64 SYSBCK04.ZIP
12-01-03 16:41 1,762,324 64 SYSBCK05.ZIP
11-21-03 19:59 1,756,732 64 SYSBCK06.ZIP
11-15-03 12:31 1,757,225 64 SYSBCK07.ZIP
10-31-03 23:06 1,747,867 64 SYSBCK08.ZIP
10-10-03 21:20 1,752,625 64 SYSBCK09.ZIP
9-22-03 12:10 1,751,445 65 SYSBCK10.ZIP

According to my logs, the last desktop restore was:

Booted at 09-09-03 14:10:55 Restore Desktop

I probably could have avoided the Desktop restore by rebooting sooner.
The logs seem to show I attempted to ignore a known INI file problem this
box has and finish up something before rebooting.

I run this box 24x7. Typical uptime if nothing bad happens is about 8-10
days. I've got a leak somewhere that inevitably causes the INIs to become
unwritable. I've never spent much time trying to track this down because
by this time I usually have one or two apps stuck in the exit list so a
reboot is not a bad thing.

One interesting side effect of this INI write failure mode is that data
that should be in other INI files gets written to OS2.INI. I've had data
from the Relish, Mesa, TCP/IP and other INIs find it way into OS2.INI.
When they say the INIs are a shared resource, they really mean it, for
better or worse.

The laptop has entirely different characteristics because it runs a
different app mix. It will run basically forever without a reboot, unless
I fat finger something. It's running the same Warp FP level and the same
WPS enhancers, so go figure.

Regards,

Steven

Return to [ 23 | January | 2004 ]