Return to [ 26 | March | 2004 ]

Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 04:06:21 PST8PDT,4,1,0,3600,10,-1,0,7200,3600
From: Harry Motin <hmotin@sbcglobal.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: killing one of several .cmd files

5

Peter,

By any chance do you have the Rexx Library (supplied by a company called Quercus
Systems). This library has a function, DOSPIDLIST, for identifying all the processes that are running on your computer. Using this function, you can place the following process information into 4 compound variables:

1. A list of process identifiers
2. A list of process names (pathnames)
3. A list of parent process identifiers
4. A list of session identifiers

Therefore, in your Rexx program you identify the desired command file program by its pathname. That pathname exists at a particular position in the second compound variable (maybe its the 10th pathname listed). Then, that process has the ID number contained in the same position (the 10th position in this example), listed by the first compound variable. Finally, using DOSKILLPROCESS from the library you can kill that program by the ID number.

I use the above all the time to identify when a particular program has loaded. My Rexx program loops until the program loads, then it continues forward.

If you go to the Quercus website you might get some information there (unfortunately, I am still without a computer, so I do not have a website URL). Also, I would search Hobbes and the OS/2 BBS for any program, or perhaps a set of Rexx DLL's, that allow you to find and use process ID's. Maybe you will find a free shareware.
HCM

Peter Skye wrote:

If I have several .cmd files (AAA.cmd, BBB.cmd etc) and
I "START" them, they all look the same using PSTAT /C.

For example,

START AAA
START BBB
PSTAT /C

show under PSTAT /C as

0C16 002C 2A G:\OS2\CMD.EXE 01 0200 FFFEB413 Block
0C15 002C 27 G:\OS2\CMD.EXE 01 0200 FFFEB410 Block

If I want to kill one of them, I don't know which one to kill.

At last week's SCOUG meeting, "someone" (hi Steven) said there
was a way to START these guys and give your favorite program
killer a way to identify which one to kill. How do I do this?

(Lurkers: I'm running several logging programs remotely
on the SCOUG server. Each of them is a .cmd file. If I
want to stop one of them -- in other words, kill it -- I
need a way to specify which one to stop.)

- Peter

Content Type: text/html