Return to [ 09 | March | 2004 ]

Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 13:09:28 PST8
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Win 3.1

In <200403092050.i29KolRb024304@smtp.ucsd.edu>, on 03/09/04
at 12:50 PM, sshapiro@ucsd.edu (Sandy Shapiro) said:

>First of all, I was running the wrong command. After doing a little more
>poking around, I found a "Setup.exe" command in one of the
>subdirectories. That one worked fine.

I must be distracted by real work. WinXX installers are almost 100%
called setup.exe and I didn't catch this.

>version of Internet Explorer, which I installed and can actually use to
>connect with the internet. However, it gives repeated error messages
>about being unable to find files connected with something called Winsock.

Make sure you are using the correct version of winsock.dll. This will be

\tcpip\dos\bin\winsock.dll

Some WinOS2 apps install versions to \os2\mdos\winos2 and elsewhere. Make
sure these are gone. \tcpip\dos\bin should have copies of ping.exe and
wping.exe for DOS and WINOS2 respectively. Use thse to check the quality
of your TCP/IP connection under DOS and WINOS2 sessions. Sometimes one
has to bump the session priority to avoid spurious timeouts.

Also, check where the DOS ETC variable is pointing. I point mine at
\MPTN\ETC for consistency. This works for me but sometimes one really
needs different settings for DOS sessions so this is a YMMV.

>If it would be helpful, I can write down the specific error messages and
>post them.

If the above suggestions to clear up the issues, seeing the exact error
messages may help.

Regards,

Steven

Return to [ 09 | March | 2004 ]