Return to [ 29 | March | 2004 ]

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 02:20:13 PST8PDT,4,1,0,3600,10,-1,0,7200,3600
From: "Larry Tawa" <laror2004@speakeasy.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Help, I'm Trapped

Harry,

>Meanwhile, being without a computer (of your own) is really pretty bad.
>After I install ECS into my new box, I am going to have slowing build
>back up my system again to get it to be similar to what it was. You
>know, like re-install the InJoy firewall, Back Again 2000, Describe,
>etc. Because I will be able to use the LVM and the JFS I plan to put the
>operating system on a small C:\ partition (HPFS compatibility volume,
>maybe 4GB). I plan to install my data on D:\, which will be a different
>physical hard drive and will be a JFS/LVM volume. I plan to install my
>programs on E:\, perhaps, which will be a JFS/LVM volume.

My first draft for eCS 1.1 install with IDE without SCSI. The key points
are (a) DANI vs IBM -DANI preferred and works on most systems but if
failed install use IBM and then switch back to DANI after successful
install; (b) avoid the SIO 2.00 driver included without reservation; (c)
let eCS 1.1 do the USB install and then you can adjust later - I only have
tested with USB floppy with success; I am trying to connect this digital
camera via USB but need to do more research; (d) install on logical
partition; please do not install on a primary (IMO); (e) have a CD made if
possible with your eCS 1.1 registration key, Mozilla - the version you
prefer with the appropriate dlls, SNAP, and other essential programs.

HTH. Good night.

Larry

==============================

select "Boot from CD-ROM"
then select "Boot with default values"
!!!!KEY!!! ==> if install fails and you need to change dani
--> ibm drivers instead select "Boot with menu for own values" and then
select as needed; change DANI to IBM on the second page of 3 pages; save
by hitting F10 and then Enter.

get the eCS installer: "Begin the installation"
adjust if needed then hit "Next"

check "Agree" if you agree
then hit "Next"

click "Advanced installation"
then hit "Next"

since this is a new disk
with "Installable volumes" selected
click "New volume"
up pops up "Installation Volume Manager"
select System -->Boot Manager --> Install
then select the rest of the disk (for me 114,463 MB of 120 GB
disk) located in the white area.
then select Volume --> Create new and click yes to create a
bootable volume followed by "Next";
The volume is "E" while the name is "eCS 1.1" and then click
"Next"
The volume size is 1000 MB - do *not* click "use a Primary
Partition"
Select "Finish"
Then select Volume --> Exit
Do you wish to save your changes before exiting? Click_Y
Then hit "Next"

Format your chosen boot volume and be sure that this is checked - "Check
for errors while formating (may be time consuming" Click "Format"; after
done click OK then click Next

You come to the registration page; swap eCS 1.1 install CD 1 with your CD
with the eCS 1.1 reg key that you made (or from floppy or you already
placed on the hard drive prior to this install). Clicj "Import
registration data" Locate that key - for me "eCS11reg.key", thewn hit
"Next" the registration key will be imported into the form;
SWAP the CDs so that eCS 1.1 install CD is in the CD-ROM then hit "Next"

Adjust the settings then hit Next
Hardware configuration:
(1)Display Driver:
Check Scitech Display Doctor if you are not going to use SNAP
Check Generic support and check Basic VGA only if you are
going to use SNAP - if you are going to use SNAP do you really want to
have the extra Scitech Display Doctor directory on the hard drive????????
(2)Standard devices
Serial port controller
Select Standard driver (IBM)
!!!!KEY!!! - Deselect Enhanced driver (SIO) ---> SIO v2.00
included in eCS 1.1 has many problems
Adjust the remainder if needed
Click Next

Get the page for eCS component install
Uncheck Web browser ====> you do not want the IBM WebBrowser since
you plan to use the updated Mozilla or Firebird web browser which is
located on the CD you made prior to this install????????????
For Java Virtual machine, select only Java 1.1..8; after a successful
install, you can install the latest Java 1.3.1 or 1.4.x version.
Adjust the remainder as needed, then click Next.

Always, always Install Network support; if you try to install network
support after the install, you will have difficulties........
Connection type - I always installed both Network adapyter connection
and Modem or serial connection. Adjust as needed, then click, Next.

Click add adapter.
click the appropriate adapter. If you do not know, checkany,say
Realtek 8139 since this one is easy to buy and then click OK. ADjust as
needed or accept the defaults - you can change the protocols,etc after the
install.. Click next.Choose DHCP or fixed IP addresss; if the latter, add
your settings.. If no NIC, dhcp ok for now. Click next. Enter the
values or make a flase workstation id such as "OSCAR" and the LAN domain
as "MEYER". Click Next. Again click Next.

eCS is doing the install now. Go have a cup of java.

Return to [ 29 | March | 2004 ]