Return to [ 09 | March | 2004 ]

Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 21:46:39 PST8
From: waynec@linkline.com
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: url link in email

Peter Skye writes:

> waynec@linkline.com wrote:
>>
>> only part of the url address string gets converted
>> to a clickable link by their email provider (with
>> some part of the url address left over)
>
> I use three different techniques.
>
> 1) I format the url onto its own line, for example:
>
> http://www.scoug.com
>
> so the url is near the beginning of the line and
> hopefully won't be "too long" for the line.

I always do that, too, but some url's are REALLY long, and even if they fit
on one line in my composer window, I find they may end up in two sections in
the receiver's email.

> 2) I set my email wordwrap to OFF for this one message so the url won't "wrap". This line you are looking at is very long because I have my wordwrap "OFF".
>
> And here is a long unsplit url:
>
> http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed=SAk5JOp_0TroLW0I0.61StO2J6cHNFOL&csz=Los+Angeles%2C+CA&country=us&new=1&name=&qty=

I received your url (above) in one piece as a clickable link, and it
correctly exceeds the width of my email window to stay in one piece. That is
not always the case, some long url's that I receive are split, with only the
first part clickable. Doesn't that sometimes happen to you? I might assume
the other person's email program caused that, but I'm not certain. I also
know that some long url's I send out are split when the recipient receives
it.

In the email composer facility on my ISP website, the data entry window has
a variable width, although anything I type in wraps automatically at a blank
to stay in view; it will widen (shift right as I type) if I type a
continuous stream of characters without blanks. If I type such a stream, or
copy & paste the url, the window then gives me the sliding bar indicating
the window is now wider than the text that is showing, in order to contain
that long url line. Same for my composer window of my ISP website.

So it appears the problem occurs somewhere between my composing the email
and the recipient opening it, and vice-versa. I can't do much about what
happens at the other end or in between, thus my desire to find a way to
shorten the url at my end.

> 3) I have my messages on Send Delay so they go to the
> Outbox but _aren't_ sent until I say so. This allows
> me to open the message in a text editor such as EPM
> and change anything I don't like -- for example put
> a split url back together on one line.
>
> Note that there is a specification (it's in the email
> RFC which I think is 2821 and 2822) for the maximum
> length of an email line. I forget what it is.

I don't have an outbox (I am familiar with the concept because I had it when
I used Compuserve's CIM program). I can save a draft, but when the draft is
retrieved it appears in the same composer window I mentioned above; it is
not otherwise accessible to me. Can I assume that "RFC" refers to some sort
of header on the email (which I apparently don't have access to)?

Perhaps I'm asking the impossible, I just thought there might be some sort
of coding method recognized by email programs.

Wayne

Return to [ 09 | March | 2004 ]