Return to [ 13 | March | 2004 ]

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 23:29:01 PST8
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Win 3.1 TCPIP HELP

In <40537827.E66519BF@pacbell.net>, on 03/13/04
at 01:07 PM, "J. R. Fox" said:

>[Jumping in here, if neither of you mind]:

I sure don't.

>It's very possible to have a general facility with various features, to
>still have much to learn about many others (even some basic ones), and to
>be totally ignorant regarding others.

This is reasonable. What I find humorous is the belief that something one
does not know is arcane. There are hundreds of foreign languages I don't
read or speak. It would be hubris for me to consider them arcane.

>Example #1: I know squat about
>Peer. Never had it installed before, until eCS made that decision for
>us. Example #2: I was unfamiliar with BEGINLIBPATH, until you recently
>gave me some instructions that included using it.

That may be try, but large numbers of Mozilla users learned how to use it
via:

<http://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/Warpzilla.html>

It's not as if is a rarely used feature.

>(And now I'd like to
>know if there is something for adding on to PATH on the fly, without the
>need to reboot,

PATH is easy. Edit it and the new value will be used. The same is true
for all the path-live environment variables. LIBPATH is different. I'm
sure there were valid technical reasons for this when the decisions that
resulting in this behavior were made.

>that is *not* strictly limited to .DLLs, as the Online
>Help tells me BEGINLIBPATH happens to be.)

Correct. BEGINLIBPATH exists as a partial workaround to the limitations
of the LIBPATH implementation.

>app.s when they first come up, such as in PMView 3.x. I'm sure there are
>enough of us who could literally learn something new from it every day.

PMView's tip of the day is cute and useful as long as the things the tip
generator consider useful are useful to me more often than not.

I find just searching the online help when I come across a term I don't
recognize to be more effective. If that doesn't work, I fall back to
Google. One thing Google teaches me is to ask questions in the way others
understand the material. That helps to get useful responses.

Regards,

Steven

Return to [ 13 | March | 2004 ]