Return to [ 14 | May | 2004 ]

Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 12:37:07 PDT7
From: Tom Brown <thombrown@san.rr.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Exception in module: OS2KRNL: Update from the Twilight Zone

Steven Levine wrote:

> In <40A28A1B.4070500@san.rr.com>, on 05/12/04
> at 12:33 PM, Tom Brown said:
>
>>I can boot to the command line using Alt-F1/F2. I have tried changing
>>the video drivers from SciTech SNAP, first to GENGRADD, then to VGA to
>>no avail. I did this because the dump happens at about the time it would
>>normally switch display modes. No joy.
>
>>Using Steven's DumpTrapScreen, I get the following:
>
> Since you have a dump partition, you should do a bit more analysis to
> figure out what the kernel is really trying to do. Since it's a trap E
> hardware is a suspect, but it could be a driver behaving badly too. So,
> I'd recommend the reseat all the cards and cables thing.
>
> Can you boot to another partition and run pmdf? If so, try
>
> ln cs:eip
>
> to see if the trap location has a known name. Also, check if the current
> thread is in a call gate. It probably is, so it would be good to know
> what the kernel is trying to do.

[snip] This dump was overwritten...

> You might also turn off the 2nd CPU. It does not get turned on until late
> in the boot process.
>

>>Any ideas?
>

> If you want me to look at the dump, see the latest
>
> <http://home.earthlink.net/~steve53/os2diags/TrapDumpRef.txt>
>
> for the updated packaging guide. I'll need the kernel symbols for v1.14.
>
> Regards,
>
> Steven

OK, I did the following:
1. Removed the external SCSI cable running to my scanners & rebooted. It
worked! ONCE! dumped again the next time. :-(
2. Removed & reseated all cards. It worked! Now, however, I get a
SYS1474 during boot. Help for this says:

SYS1474: The system does not have enough storage to activate swapping.

EXPLANATION: There is not enough system or disk memory available.

ACTION: Try one of the following and then restart the system:
o Edit the CONFIG.SYS file to reduce the value specified in the
BUFFERS=, TRACEBUF=, DISKCACHE=, THREADS=, or RMSIZE= statement or
reduce the size allocated for a virtual disk in a DEVICE=VDISK.SYS
statement.
o Install another memory option in your system unit.
o Use the ERASE command to delete unwanted files on the swap disk or
use the COPY command to copy them to a different disk.

There's a red herring here somewhere...
I have 1 GiB RAM. BIOS shows 1024 MiB. SysInfo same. eCenter showed ~175
MiB. I closed everything. eCenter showed 200 MiB.
CONFIG.SYS shows: SWAPPATH=D:\OS2\SYSTEM 2048 2048
D: has 1.3 GiB free

Rebooted. Back to normal. Hello!?!?!?!?

I have also ran CHECKINI (somewhere above) which removed a bunch of
obsolete handles.

Latest dump:

Reading y:\dumpdata.001 05-13-04 23:11:36

##0168:fff0f69b - 000f:e69b , 06860680
9084

Exception in module: OS2KRNL
TRAP 000e ERRCD=0002 ERACC=**** ERLIM=******** CPU=01
EAX=00000000 EBX=00001000 ECX=00000400 EDX=fe6f1238
ESI=00000008 EDI=11ccfff0 EBP=00004f12 FLG=00250216
CS:EIP=0168:fffbd614 CSACC=c09b CSLIM=ffffffff
SS:ESP=1530:00004ede SSACC=1097 SSLIM=00003fff
DS=0160 DSACC=c0f3 DSLIM=ffffffff CR0=8001003b
ES=0160 ESACC=c0f3 ESLIM=ffffffff CR2=11ccfff0
FS=0000 FSACC=**** FSLIM=********
GS=0000 GSACC=**** GSLIM=********

Internal revision 14.097f_SMP

PMDF (for the latest dump) shows:

# ln 0168:fffbd614

%fffbd52c OS2KRNL _SMReinit + e8
#

Is this where SMP gets turned on? I looked in the BIOS, but can't find
any place to disable one of the CPUs. Tyan/Phoenix don't give me very
many choices... I REALLY don't want to physically remove a CPU. It's a PITA!

Re: call gates:

# Checking call gates for all slots

Slot *ager 1:
Error finding call gate selector.Slot *mpd 2:
Code has been swapped out
Slot *mpd 3:
Code has been swapped out
Slot *tsd 4:
Code has been swapped out
Slot *ctxh 5:
Code has been swapped out
Slot *lazyw 6:
Code has been swapped out
Slot *asyncr 7:
Code has been swapped out
Slot *sysinit 8:
is in a 32 bit call gate: 0148:00004ce0 OS2KRNL DOSSICG

Slot *jitdaemon 9:
is in a 32 bit call gate: 0148:00004d28 OS2KRNL DOSSYSTEMSERVICE
Called by: %1ffc95c8 DOSCALL1 _JITDispatcherThread + 233
Invalid linear address: 003f:00000d24

In light of the above wierdness, there is probably not much point in
sending you the dump which is not the original one anyway.

Thanks once again for your help!

--
Tom Brown
thombrown at san dot rr dot com