Return to [ 07 | May | 2004 ]

Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 11:20:17 PDT7
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Archiver & TFC support in ZTree

Steven,

You've been a longtime beta tester for ZTree, a major reason I'm
directing
this question to you. I have ZTree (not always the same version)
going in
various partitions on both systems. I'm well aware of the \Temp
directory
and Path settings necessary for the use of full Archiving support and
the
TFC file-compare module. Nevertheless, the archiving support works
100 %
in some OS partitions but not in others, the TFC support either works
or
doesn't. Can't seem to find the "X" factor I'm overlooking.

In situations where the archiver support is not all there, Zip
archives (let's
stick to Zip for the moment) can be opened, files extracted, etc.
However,
the simple View command for the archive, which should bring up the
contents
display that shows % of compression at the bottom, instead shows
compressed
coding gibberish. Sometimes it will do so only after a failure screen
("Archiver
Returned ___ "), after which I hit Return. But I don't see any
apparent difference
between the setup where everything works, and where this occurs. I
don't think
there is a difference in Archiver.BB2, either.

In the places where TFC fails, I get an error of "Cannot Find
TFC.CMD." This
seems to be a file I have never had, anywhere, and which is definitely
not needed
in the partitions where TFC works just fine.

Incidentally, the two eCS installs you orchestrated on the XPC seem to
have set up
a structure where there is \Var\Temp or _something_\Var\Temp
instead of just
\Temp. Ditto for \Tmp. (I'm on the wrong computer as I write this,
so can't check it
just now.) Attempts to REM out that structure and just go with plain

SET TEMP = P:\Temp
SET Tmp = P:\Tmp

and so forth for the Tempdir line

just cause everything that requires a \Temp directory variable to
fail.

There is a similar works / doesn't work division for these features in
ZTree
for Win-32, in a some W2K partitions, where the Path and Environment
info has to be set elsewhere, and I don't see where the difference
lies there
either . . . but we won't get into that.

I have been through Kim's documentation, but haven't taken this to
him.

Jordan

Return to [ 07 | May | 2004 ]