Return to [ 03 | May | 2004 ]

Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 12:58:16 PDT7
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: SCOUG Help <scoug-help@scoug.com >
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Procdump Traps

In <4734.11.51.32.03.05.2004@seadog.reno.nv.us>, on 05/03/04
at 11:51 AM, "Jon Harrison" said:

>The file links at your page on Scoug no longer work.

I suspect a problem at your end.

>I found pmdll28 on
>hobbes but it fails with an "out of resources". This is on my maintenace
>partition with almost no processes running (I think TOP shows only about
>a half-dozen processes) and 1024MB ram.

Humm. There are lots of types of resources. Out of resources rarely
means you have run out of memory. PMDLL does not report this error
explicitly. Are you getting a popup message or is this message showing up
on the command line? E-mail me a screen shot if you can capture one.

>After PMDLL barfs for no resources I notice that even though the VIO
>closes, the process is not released and I am unable to kill it.

There's something about your MP setup the PMDLL is not handling correctly.
Does PMDLL work for something simple like tedit.exe?

>I was hoping to copy the tree somehow but didn't get a chance to find out
>with the resource problem. I tried upping the limits but that caused it
>to not run (doubled the imports from 128->256 and depth from 10->20.

I'm running with the settings 128, 512 and 10 and PMDLL works fine for all
the BA2KWS EXEs. The only difference is I am running the workstation
version, not the server version, so some of my DLLs will differ.

>Hmmmm, just tried PMDLL and it runs fine in my primary partition and
>against baiicr (which doesn't croak in my full eCS install) and that tree
>is the one attached here for reference.

Have you ever been able to make it fail on your production partition?

>I will boot into my maintenance part later today and try again on clrest
>and check if the tree is the same.

>I note after running pmdll in my regular partition w/o a resource problem
>that it exits properly. So my report above of unreleases resources might
>apply only to situations where to program errors due to resources.

>I have been unable to locate chkdll32.

Google is my friend. There's a link at:

<http://www.scoug.com/os24u/2001/scoug03.troubleshooting.html>

The IBM domain is a bit sluggish at the moment, so I can't be sure if the
link is still alive. I can e-mail you a copy if all else fails.

HTH,

Steven

Return to [ 03 | May | 2004 ]