Return to [ 31 | May | 2004 ]

Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 22:47:04 PDT7
From: Peter Skye <pskye@peterskye.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Audio recording / editing programs?

Tom Brown wrote:

> (as soon as I dig it out of the garage) a Thorens
> TD-124 turntable with some kind of cartridge. The tape deck has just
> been proven to work thru the mixer. I haven't run the turntable in
> years, so that remains to be seen.

I can't remember if Thorens was direct-drive (the motor was connected to
the spindle) or if it used a belt or a puck.

If it uses a belt, the belt might quickly break (just like a very old
rubber band). A company called GC Electronics used to make all sorts of
replacement belts; I don't know if they still do, if they're still in
business, or if some other company bought them.

If it uses a puck, and it's been "in gear" while in storage, the puck
may have a flat spot. Run the thing for a few hours and the puck might
return to normal roundness.

The "needle" (stylus) might need a little cleaning. Put a little
rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip and _carefully_ and _gently_ wipe the
stylus. If you have a good magnifying glass or optical magnifier you
can look at the stylus and make sure it's clean and still has a point.

If you want to clean the records before you play them, use a record
cleaning solution and a very soft cloth. The vinyl we used to press
records contained a lubricant which allowed the stylus to slide more
easily in the groove, and if you clean the records with soapy water,
lighter fluid or other non-approved (love that term) solutions you might
get a little more noise when you play them (and if you play them a lot
they'll get noisy faster as the stylus rubs against the groove walls).
Note that 45 rpm records were often made of styrene (injection molded
rather than pressed) and don't have the lubricant. We over-modulated
the 45s to make them louder on jukeboxes so you won't have much noise
problem but there will be more groove distortion than with a 33.

Most of your 33 rpm records will be at the same "volume" (it was an RIAA
standard) so you can just set the recording level once and then forget
it. However, for LPs that had "long" sides we turned the volume down a
dB or two so there were more grooves per inch and hence the thing would
fit onto the disc. If you have any long sides you might want to turn
the recording volume up a taste for those particular sides.

- Peter

Return to [ 31 | May | 2004 ]