Return to [ 12 | May | 2004 ]

Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 20:25:48 PDT7
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: server trap 3

In <40A1BA76.69AA@peterskye.com>, on 05/11/04
at 10:48 PM, Peter Skye said:

>I'm administering a server remotely. It's been up-and-running since
>mid-February; for background every few days it reboots itself and I don't
>know why but it does keep running.

>This (Tuesday) morning it went t-up with a Trap 3 (software breakpoint)
>in "Sockets" and was ditw. I got this info in an email from the person
>who saw the trap screen and rebooted the box.

You have a TCP/IP stack problem. It may or may not be related to the
spontaneous reboots. You may have a configuration problem, or you make
just need to install an MPTS FP to update the TCP/IP stack.

First thing to check is make sure you have the SACK parameter off. Use
inetcfg to check the setting.

Next thing to check is why you are getting spontaneous reboots. If you
want me to help with this, it's time to do the drill. I'll need copies
of:

config.sys
protocol.ini
lantran.log
setup.cmd
startup.cmd
inetcfg.ini

I'll also need to see the output of:

syslevel >syslevel.out

and

bldlevel \os2krnl >bldlevel.out

>-- 1. I need a procedure for the local person to follow when/if this
>happens again. Along with writing down exactly what is shown on the trap
>screen, is there anything else that should be done before rebooting? The
>server does not have a maintenance partition.

It should, for all the obvious reasons. It also should have a dump
partition.

>-- 2. What, if any, software should be installed to capture additional
>useful info?

A dump partition.

<http://home.earthlink.net/~steve53/os2diags/TrapDumpRef.txt>

>-- 3. I administer this thing over telnet with a little help from ftp.
>Is there anything I can do at this belated moment to learn more about the
>cause of this trap?

Probably not.

Steven

Return to [ 12 | May | 2004 ]