Return to [ 10 | May | 2004 ]

Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 12:56:40 PDT7
From: Ray Davison <raydav@charter.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: LVM, was Requester won't start

Steven Levine wrote:

>>If the partition information is entered in IVM during install when is it
>>written to the HDD?
>
> When you tell it to save and exit.

Is that LVM info then shared by all copies of eCS on that box. That is,
do they all see the same drives with the same identities?

> Just the definition for that particular volume. I assume here you
really
> mean delete the volume and its underlying partition.

I mean delete the partition. Turn it into free space. Or is that going
to break something? How does one get rid of all traces of LVM without
writing zeros to the entire HDD?

> Just hiding the volume from OS/2 does not destroy its content.

I have never wanted to hide any partition from any other partition, nor
have I understood the desire to.

How does one add partitions to what eCS can see. During installation I
only added one besides the install partition. From eCS I ran LVM. I
could change the partition name but could not determine how to give it a
volume name. It did however make the machine unable to boot from the
HDD. I fixed it.

However, I an not sure I care about adding things to LVM any more. But
I am leaving the question because maybe I should know the answer. Since
I typed the above question I have gained access to all the partitions on
both HDDs, the CD, DVD and Zip and two network drives. See requester
thread for details.

But if I open LVM it says "Drive Error" "lowing drive number has
incorrect partitioning inform". No I can't make it fit in the box.

Also "The following drive number has a bad MBR: 3" I take that to be
drive 3. Drive 3 is the Zip and the disk is not inserted. Bad MBR indeed.

And "e following drive number failed the last 10 opertation(sic)".

The graphical drive presentation correctly identifies FAT16 and HPFS.
FAT32 it calls unknown. What's this tit-for-tat?

DFSEE seems OK.

Ray

Return to [ 10 | May | 2004 ]