Return to [ 26 | September | 2004 ]

Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 14:33:30 PDT7
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Why won't new kernel load? and SCSI on eCS 1.1?

In <20040926184919.TBOG404.mta11.adelphia.net@[192.168.1.99]>, on 09/26/04

at 12:16 PM, Michael Rakijas said:

>appears that the old kernel is the one that is loading, i.e. response to
>ver /r is 14.093 no matter which kernel is the os2krnl file in the root
>directory (there is no os2krnl elsewhere on the machine). I thought
>maybe it was one of those updates where updating the label was forgotten,
>but I loaded the new os2krnl file into an editor and verified that there
>is no reference to 14.093, only 14.100c. This is a head scratcher to me
>- thanks in advance for any suggestions.

ver /r has never been a reliable method for determining which testcase
kernel is loaded. It is reliable for FP kernels because every FP comes
with a new version of cmd.exe will report the same version as the kernel.

The most reliable method for checking kernel version is bldlevel.

>In order to short circuit the problem I'm actually trying to debug, let
>me ask this. I'm trying to get a SCSI subsystem working with the machine
>using an Adaptec 2940UW, SCSI CDROM and CDRW drives. Is anyone aware of
>a problem with eCS in doing this?

Nothing specific.

>machine boots fine (either card). Connect the CD drives to the card, and
>it traps where described (also, either card). I tried three different
>drivers (with both cards), one supplied with eCS 1.1, one that works for
>me on another machine (the one with the 2920C) and one downloaded from
>Adaptec. Now you know why I was fooling with the kernel. As before,
>thanks for suggestions here too.

I suspect there's IRQ conflict with some other driver. Without the drives
connected, the driver does not load, so that would bypass IRQ issues.

Use the BIOS post screen to determine which devices are sharing IRQs with
the SCSI card and try disabling that driver. Once you figure out the
source(s) of the conflict, you can do the PCI slot shuffle or use SPCIIRQ
and maybe make the conflict go away.

Steven

Return to [ 26 | September | 2004 ]