Return to [ 18 | September | 2004 ]

Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 23:53:44 PDT7
From: "Larry Tawa" <laror2004@speakeasy.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: AMD 64

In <87217.20.12.36.15.09.2004@carrier.constellation>, on 09/15/2004
at 08:04 PM, Ray Davison said:

>Any known problems running DOS, OS/2 or Win9 on AMD 64?

>TY
>Ray

Regarding OS/2, see "OS/2 Meets 64-bit Opteron" by David T. Johnson:

<http://www.os2ezine.com/20030916/page_6.html>

I just sent an email to David asking about the 512 MB RAM problem he
reported in this OS/2 eZine article of September 16, 2003. If he replies
with his permission, I will repost his answer here.

I am a fan of the ASUS A7N8X deluxe rev 2 motherboard which has the nVIDIA
nForce2 Ultra 400 chipset. I researched this motherboard via Google and
did *not* expect problems with the installation of eCS. I did have some
problems with the installation of eCS but with some effort was able to
install eCS.

FWIW, eCS 1.2 (the last generally available RC of eCS 1.2) installed
without effort a clean install on the ASUS A7N8X deluxe rev2 motherboard
without problems. One reason for the success was the removal of the Sio
drivers from eCS.

Bottom line: if I were to plan to purchase an AMD 64 motherboard today, I
would purchase an ASUS motherboard with the nForce3 chipset and use eCS
1.2 GA. eCS 1.2 GA compared to prior eCS and OS/2 Warp 3 or 4 is a
*superior* clean install. YMMV.

As for installing DOS or Win 9 on an AMD 64, see Google.

HTH

Larry

Return to [ 18 | September | 2004 ]