Return to [ 01 | September | 2004 ]

Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 12:34:40 PDT7
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Mozilla 1.7.2 new speed test results

In <413588D2.2C67@peterskye.com>, on 09/01/04
at 01:31 AM, Peter Skye said:

>But lookee: If I got a chip that ran 10 times as fast, would that reduce
>my 38 minute page load time to 3.8 minutes (3:48)? That's still pretty
>darn slow. I mean, Moz 1.0 on my 233 loads the page faster than that
>right now. It's got to be something other than my system speed.

Actually, no it would reduce the time to under 1 minute. I've moved this
issue to where it belongs - netscape.public.mozilla.os2 and we have
collected some data.

Recall that I said the behavior was much worse than I expected. It may be
specific to the OS/2 build. The load time is better with v1.8.3a, but not
much better. The real benefit of v1.8.3a is that the priorities have been
tweaked so that the browser and the rest of the system can still be used
while the page is loading. I can open another tab and browse while the
page continues to load.

>Maybe I should try moving from FP 10 to FP 15 and add the SciTech driver.

It's not got to do anything for this problem. You should see noticable
better general performance. If you do go to FP15, I recommend installing
the 14.100c testcase kernel. It outperforms the FP15 kernel by a wide
margin.

>That way Foxey will have less to complain about and people will stop
>laughing at me.

I doubt either are likely anytime soon.

Steven

Return to [ 01 | September | 2004 ]