Return to [ 21 | September | 2004 ]

Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 12:00:52 PDT7
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: System Commander

Sandy Shapiro wrote:

> I have a Boot Manager question.
> If I add my DOS partition to the BM menu, it boots normally into DOS when
> selected. However, if I also add WinXP to the BM menu, then when I select
> DOS, it boots into WinXP. I suspect it has something to do with the
> boot.ini file? Or is there some other problem? Can it be fixed so I can
> have both DOS and WinXP on BM menu and still boot into DOS when I need to.

Sandy,

I think Steven may not be a user of Windoze. (Wise fellow, he.)

This may represent a misunderstanding of your question, but here is what I
observe, in the history of my multi-boot setups from NT-4 on. The Win-32
counterpart to our OS/2 Boot Mgr. (theirs is quite stupidly designed, IMO)
seizes control over whatever is booted from the C: -- unless something else
like System Commander or Acronis has itself taken over. This applies even if
-- as in my case -- your Win-32 boot partitions are logicals distant from C:,
because the necessary Boot Code files still must reside early on the C drive.
Absent System Cmdr. or an equivalent boot utility, here is what seems to
happen: IBM Boot Mgr. comes up first. The DOS boot option you've put into
IBM Boot Mgr. can call up the "DOS" choice, which is in fact _really_ the
Win-32 Boot Mgr. *From there*, you choose between DOS and W2K, XP, or
whatever you have. (I have never tried to break this out into separate boot
choices as between actual DOS and for Win-32, *inside our own Boot Mgr.*, and
so do not know if the cause of your confused boot scenario is fixable.)
Otherwise, you wouldn't even go into _their_ Boot Mgr., but just boot W4, eCS,
or Linux from ours. I had thought that Win-32 could only be booted from
theirs, but I could be wrong about that.

SC offers a much more elegant interface. It would be great if V-Comm made it
LVM aware, or whatever else may be required, but I wouldn't hold my breath on
that one. Ray Davison has been using the Acronis product, with apparently
favorable results (but I don't think he is an eCS user {?} and he seems to
have little interest in dealing with any LVM complications).

Jordan

Return to [ 21 | September | 2004 ]