Return to [ 16 | September | 2004 ]

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 12:41:11 PDT7
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: Looking forward to the new & improved installer

Steven Levine wrote:

> It should be. A SYSINSTX should not be required. It updates OS2BOOT and
> the partition boot record and this is part of what is cloned.

Thanx for your reply.

Nice to know, for future reference.

> >This ultimately worked,
> >but it was hardly as quick or easy as I had hoped.
>
> No. It will not be. Lots of broken objects, most likely.

It's too soon to be sure, but so far I don't think so, probably because I also cloned
/ overwrote / updated any OS/2 app. partitions that said objects would have
referenced. That is to say, it is now all in synch, and contemporaneous with the
source drive.

> >What I ran into were the same clumsy roadblocks we ran into at the Help
> >Desk, and had to leap over by various means . . . better known to you
> >than to me. Do these jog your memory ? :
>
> >Phase 2 Install Error: {shows window w/ Setup Cmd} "
> >E:\ecs\install\quideproc.exe E:\ecs\install\nls\EN\eiendph2.gps
> >E:\ecs\install "
>
> Sorta, although the details are fuzzy. My memory says we never really
> resolved the issue with the DOS partitions volume name.

You're probably thinking of the "Can't See the C: from eCS" issue, surmised to have
*something* to do with the DOS partition volume name, or possibly with the use of
DR-DOS itself. That situation continues. I was very curious to see if this would or
would not repeat on the cloned hard drive (why wouldn't it, after all ?), on the faint
possibility that we took some subtle wrong turn in what we did at that Help Desk, and
perhaps I would be doing something different on my own, putting the eCS partitions on
the clone after the fact. Not so. I'm not sure at this point, but I recall that
partition resisting any attempts to rename it, using one tool or another. Will have
to revisit this.

I had sent all the DFSEE logs to Jan, after the Help Desk session, and he couldn't
figure that one out either, although he did say that he had seen some strange issues
with a DR-DOS partition in the past. It remains a mystery for now, but one that kinda
bugs me.

> > Say What ? And who knew there was a global positioning
> >satellite involved ?!
>
> You didn't know this?

I was just kidding. So, are you telling me that file that ends in .gps really was for
that ??

> >In fact, Phase 2 never completes. The JFS line is still a fatal Dead
> >Stop at reboots.
>
> One day this will rise to the top of your list and we will figure out what
> is confused about what. Who knows? It might just go away with eCS 1.2.

It's always nice to _solve_ a mystery -- I'm sure that is your preference. But this
can be time-consuming and labor-intensive. Sometimes I will gladly settle for the
problem going away (and not returning), whether I ever find out 'Why' or not.

> >perfect installation scripts, that happen to work on *everyone's*
> >hardware. (However, you did happen to describe *this* hardware as plain
> >Vanilla, from what you could observe.)
>
> I also noted the your choice of DOS partition naming might be an issue.
> The problem you have is not a hardware problem.

That's reassuring. I can tell you that there was never any such problem on the tower
desktop, which has a similarly complex partitioning scheme . . . although there the
DOS C: has been PC-DOS 2000 for a long time.

> >Hopefully, potholes like this will be long gone from the 1.2 installer.
>
> Maybe yes. Maybe no. I'm sure there will be some different potholes.

Can't wait to find out.

> >then image writeback, then a full Win-32 CHKDSK -- THAT seems to work.
> >All Trial & Error, learning this the hard way, as usual.]
>
> True enough. Jan probably knows an easier way.

I had planned to take all this to his forum, and hope to do so shortly.

Jordan

Return to [ 16 | September | 2004 ]