Return to [ 29 | September | 2004 ]

Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 14:16:29 PDT7
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: OS/2 and Athlon 64 compatibility

Ray Davison wrote:

> You said "based on what your research shows as working *well* with our
> platform". Just where does one do that research. Let's see, should I
> wait for the MB manufacturer to certify it for OS/2? Good luck. Or,
> should we all run whatever Dani runs?

There is an OS/2 H-W Compatibility List, though I wouldn't place any large
wagers on how up-to-date it is. Still, I think it has been mentioned a couple
times in VOICE List news items this year alone, so I'm not sure why they would
bother, if most of what it covers should be considered "antiques." No, by
"what our research shows to be working" I meant checking the various sources
that are readily to hand. Newsgroups, Google Groups, dedicated lists like this
one. But by all means, you can start much closer to home. Ask a lot of
questions. I had seen MSI motherboards for sale various places, but knew
almost nothing about them. Steve Schiffman is using one with some uncommon
features (like built-in SCSI controllers), and rather successfully I believe,
so I grilled him about it at meetings and via email.

You need not venture into uncharted territory.

> To once again paraphrase someone "they is us". If we don't try it, it
> will never be known if it works.

True enough, but that sort of exploration is beyond me, and I'm well aware of
my limits. Any of the 3 Steves or Jerry Rash can probably figure out most
anything they may run into in hardware (if sufficiently motivated, and given
the time). I'm quite sure you're *far* better in this area than I am, but I
don't know where you would fall on the continuum.

Jordan

Return to [ 29 | September | 2004 ]