Return to [ 26 | September | 2004 ]

Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 12:16:28 PDT7
From: Michael Rakijas <mrakijas@oco.net >
To: scoug-help <scoug-help@scoug.com >
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Why won't new kernel load? and SCSI on eCS 1.1?

While debugging another problem (one I'll ask about below to try to short
circuit the issue), I tried taking a stock eCS 1.1 install and replacing the
supplied kernel (which is one in the 14.093 series) with the test case 14.100c
off the eCS web site. The funny thing is, even though I copied over the
supplied kernel (os2krnl) with the new one (according to the enclosed readme
procedures - I've replaced kernels before), it appears that the old kernel is
the one that is loading, i.e. response to ver /r is 14.093 no matter which
kernel is the os2krnl file in the root directory (there is no os2krnl elsewhere
on the machine). I thought maybe it was one of those updates where updating the
label was forgotten, but I loaded the new os2krnl file into an editor and
verified that there is no reference to 14.093, only 14.100c. This is a head
scratcher to me - thanks in advance for any suggestions.

In order to short circuit the problem I'm actually trying to debug, let me ask
this. I'm trying to get a SCSI subsystem working with the machine using an
Adaptec 2940UW, SCSI CDROM and CDRW drives. Is anyone aware of a problem with
eCS in doing this? All I get are TRAP 008s right before the desktop is coming
up (it's just gone in to graphics mode and clock is showing) . Physical set up
should be fine (termination and so on). I brought in a known working 2920C
(uses the same driver) with the same result. Brought in known working CD drive
on the 2940UW and the same result. Leaving the card in and disconnecting the
drives cable and the machine boots fine (either card). Connect the CD drives to
the card, and it traps where described (also, either card). I tried three
different drivers (with both cards), one supplied with eCS 1.1, one that works
for me on another machine (the one with the 2920C) and one downloaded from
Adaptec. Now you know why I was fooling with the kernel. As before, thanks for
suggestions here too.

-Rocky

Return to [ 26 | September | 2004 ]