Return to [ 07 | September | 2004 ]

Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 08:59:35 PDT7
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: MkISOfs Can't find CDloader.bin

In <200409070138.5431552.7@scoug.com>, on 09/07/04
at 01:38 AM, "Don{ald} O. Woodall" said:

> I need another clue.

OK. :-)

>mkisofs -v -o H:\ISOIMAGES\ecs11cd1.iso -r -J -b M:/BOOTIMGS/cdloader.bin
> -c boot-cat.bin -d -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4
> -log-file H:/APPS/CDRECORD/makecs11cd1.log M:/

This needs to be:

mkisofs -v -o H:/ISOIMAGES/ecs11cd1.iso -r -J -b BOOTIMGS/cdloader.bin
-c boot-cat.bin -d -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4
-log-file H:/APPS/CDRECORD/makecs11cd1.log M:/

The -b and -c paths are relative to the directory structure on the ISO
image and the the paths are case sensitive.

This is a repeat of an old clue, but no matter. :-)

Here's an example with paths that are correctly specified:

[j:\tmp\0]mkisofs -v -o tmp.iso -r -J -b Tmp/OSBOOT.IMG -c boot.cat i:/
mkisofs 1.14 (i386-pc-os2_emx)
Scanning i:/
D:\MMedia\CDRecord\mkisofs.exe: No such file or directory. Non-existant or
inaccessible: i:/.. Scanning i:/Tmp

Size of boot image is 2880 sectors -> Emulating a 1.44 meg floppy Total
translation table size: 2048
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 704
Total directory bytes: 2778
Path table size(bytes): 22
Max brk space used 10000
784 extents written (1 Mb)

To compares here's several examples of incorrectly specified paths which
you might recognize as similar to others you have tried in the past:

[j:\tmp\0]mkisofs -v -o tmp.iso -r -J -b i:/Tmp/OSBOOT.IMG -c boot.cat i:/
mkisofs 1.14 (i386-pc-os2_emx)
Scanning i:/
D:\MMedia\CDRecord\mkisofs.exe: No such file or directory. Non-existant or
inaccessible: i:/.. Scanning i:/Tmp
D:\MMedia\CDRecord\mkisofs.exe: Uh oh, I cant find the boot image
'i:/Tmp/OSBOOT.IMG' !

[j:\tmp\0]mkisofs -v -o tmp.iso -r -J -b /Tmp/OSBOOT.IMG -c boot.cat i:/
mkisofs 1.14 (i386-pc-os2_emx)
Scanning i:/
D:\MMedia\CDRecord\mkisofs.exe: No such file or directory. Non-existant or
inaccessible: i:/.. Scanning i:/Tmp
call to search_tree_file with an absolute path, stripping
initial path separator. Hope this was intended...
D:\MMedia\CDRecord\mkisofs.exe: Uh oh, I cant find the boot image
'/Tmp/OSBOOT.IMG' !

[j:\tmp\0]mkisofs -v -o tmp.iso -r -J -b TMP/OSBOOT.IMG -c boot.cat i:/
mkisofs 1.14 (i386-pc-os2_emx)
Scanning i:/
D:\MMedia\CDRecord\mkisofs.exe: No such file or directory. Non-existant or
inaccessible: i:/.. Scanning i:/Tmp
D:\MMedia\CDRecord\mkisofs.exe: Uh oh, I cant find the boot image
'TMP/OSBOOT.IMG' !

> I don't know why " mkisofs " can't find it, I can easily enough.

Because you are not case sensitive and mkisofs is. Based on the directory
listing, you need:

BOOTIMGS/CDLOADER.BIN

BTW, you really should put a note in you script to remind yourself to
mkisofs wants forward slashes and wants the correct case. It really
doesn't matter if this requirement is a good thing or a bad thing, it just
is.

HTH,

Steven

Return to [ 07 | September | 2004 ]