Return to [ 13 | September | 2004 ]

Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 18:54:01 PDT7
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Looking forward to the new & improved installer

Hi Steven,

I don't know how much you recall about the two eCS 1.1 partition
installs you arranged for me on the Shuttle, a few months ago ? Over
the weekend, I had the occasion to revisit this terrain, in a manner
of speaking. What with the lower price of hard drives these days, I
had picked up a spare for the one we installed on. The drive in the
Shuttle that day had already been cloned onto the spare, via DFSEE.
So, it already had the extensive partitioning, and the three working
boot partitions -- one DR-DOS7, two W2K. It was my intention to have
an updated clone drive, bringing the W2Ks up to SP-4 and the many,
Many, MANY security fixes (yes, that is an editorial comment !) that
had gone onto the source drive since then, plus a duplication of those
two eCS boot partitions . . . but it took a long time before I got
around to it.

I did not want to bother re-cloning the whole drive. To do that
properly, one is likely well advised to first WIPE the clone drive.
(*) That is to say, a time-consuming Two Pass process. Maybe it's
possible to just clone the eCS partitions, retrofit LVM and eCS Boot
Mgr., then maybe do a SYSINSTX (?), but I wasn't comfortable proceding
on that theory. So I thought I'd just do a minimal, new eCS 1.1
install, including the BM & LVM setup, then _overwrite_ the boot
partitions with the images of those on the original drive, which have
a lot of app.s and assorted preferences etc. installed into the OS.
This ultimately worked, but it was hardly as quick or easy as I had
hoped.

What I ran into were the same clumsy roadblocks we ran into at the
Help Desk, and had to leap over by various means . . . better known to
you than to me. Do these jog your memory ? :

Phase 2 Install Error: {shows window w/ Setup Cmd} "
E:\ecs\install\quideproc.exe E:\ecs\install\nls\EN\eiendph2.gps
E:\ecs\install "

Say What ? And who knew there was a global positioning
satellite involved ?!

And, of course, let's not forget the ever popular:

" Phase2 0x3 An error occurred while executing
?:\ecs\install\rsp\phase2.cmd
2 > &1 > ?:\var\log\phase2.12 "

In fact, Phase 2 never completes. The JFS line is still a fatal Dead
Stop at reboots.

Since I eventually managed to get to the desired destination (and
without needing assistance), no harm / no foul. And I'm sure there
are no perfect installation scripts, that happen to work on
*everyone's* hardware. (However, you did happen to describe *this*
hardware as plain Vanilla, from what you could observe.)

Hopefully, potholes like this will be long gone from the 1.2
installer.

[ * Note: eCS boot partitions, and HPFS app. or data partitions, seem
to work just fine in an image- cloned-overwrite scenario -- _if_ I can
safely judge from this limited trial. But woe betide you when
attempting this with Windoze NTFS boot partitions. Sheer Disaster !
Wiping the target partition first with zeros, wiping the partition's
"free space", then image writeback, then a full Win-32 CHKDSK -- THAT
seems to work. All Trial & Error, learning this the hard way, as
usual.]

Jordan

Return to [ 13 | September | 2004 ]