Return to [ 10 | September | 2004 ]

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:07:03 PDT7
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: Need Inkjet Printer Recommendation

jbrush@aros.net wrote:

> Well, you can watch for another 5700 or Z51 on ebay.

I have bought a few printers on Ebay, which has mostly worked out rather well.
When you budget for this, you should assume that you may *also* incur some repair
costs, hopefully minor. I was fortunate to find a local shop here in SFV that
does such repairs at a very reasonable cost. Typically, this is something like a
good cleaning, to remove dried-up ink that is gunking up the works. That is
obviously more critical where you don't have cartridge-integrated print heads --
i.e., for the majority of inkjet printers. More extensive (mechanical) repairs
would not make much economic sense, unless (perhaps) we are talking about a rare
or expensive type of photo printer.

> Beyond that, I would not
> buy any inkjet printer that did not allow me to refill canisters of individual
> ink,

I think the vast majority of inkjet cartridges are refillable, one way or
another. Even the chipped variety. The question becomes, how much time, trouble
& mess is involved in doing this, and how easy is it to screw this up ?

> that do not have the print head attached to them.

I was only aware of some LexMarks (and some LexMark-clone models formerly in the
Xerox line) having printheads incorporated into each cartridge, such that you get
a new one each time you change the cartridge. This type was not the best kind for
serious photo printing, but did limit how much trouble you could get into, if you
trashed a printhead. For mostly text work, overall you'd have to consider it an
advantage. Are you suggesting that LexMark no longer employs this design ?

Digging back through several of Tony's INK columns would likely be helpful, in
resarching our best inkjet options.

> I am told some Canon inkjets fill the
> prescription.

I'm not really that familiar with the Canon line either, but some fairly recent
models -- like the very quiet, fast, and well-reviewed 850 -- still offered both
Parallel & USB connections, and you could print to them from DOS, which proves
they aren't Winprinters. I'm nearly certain that OS/2 drivers existed, also.

Jordan

Return to [ 10 | September | 2004 ]